Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie *Recipe #38 - page 192*

I love going to our local Farmer's Market on Saturdays. It's always exciting to see what goodies you might come across. I finally got a chance to go this past Saturday and I was really impressed. This year our Farmer's Market moved its location and was able to increase space and vendors!! There was so much to see, smell, and TASTE! There were local artisans selling their arts and crafts. Plus, we were able to see our favorite musicans.
There were so many things available that I can't locate in stores around here. I finally found the rhubarb to make this pie!! I also found fresh english peas, pea shoots, goat cheese, homemade Italian sausage, sour cherries, and the juiciest peaches ever! The best news was that everything was priced so well and I was able to beat store prices. I can't wait to go again!!
I have been waiting for the right time to make Tyler's Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie and today was the day. We had a huge thunderstorm and it was the perfect chance to stay in and bake. The crust came together like a dream and the filling was super simple. The hardest part was waiting for the pie to bake the much needed 1 hour and 15 minutes!! I have full faith in Tyler's baking recipes and I found myself continually peeking through the oven door to check and see if the pie might be finished early.
I'm telling you now that this pie didn't hardly have a chance to cool down before I was cutting a slice. I served it with vanilla ice cream and was in total heaven!! It was perfection. The crust was very flaky and the filling was sweet and tart. The vanilla ice cream put this dessert over the edge. I pretty much inhaled the whole piece and was thinking about going back for another piece. Just as I was about to get up, I heard a knock at the door. My husband surprised me by coming home early! Some people just have good timing : )
This is my entry for Tyler Florence Fridays this week. You can check out what the other ladies are making every Friday night by clicking here. This recipe was pretty lengthy, so I chose not to post it. I would be more than happy to share it with you via email if you leave me a note.

13 comments:

  1. Funny, I like rainy days for the same reason, to cook and bake!!

    This looks so delicious, Kim. Perfect photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it looks awesome! Rainy days are definitely a gerat time for baking/cooking/etc...sounds lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pie looks wonderful! Please ship me a very large slice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First - I am so jealous about the Farmer's Market. I wish we had one around here :(

    Second - I love strawberry rhubarb pie! It's such a great combination, and your crust looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa this looks professional! Better than the local bakery. I am attending my first NYC farmer's market on Saturday and can't wait. I plan on buying tons of veggies and then planning my meals around them (instead of the other way around).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic! I am a big rhubarb fan and I'm gonna have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that pie looks delicious! can't wait to get some fresh strawberries! Happy TFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pie looks and sounds wonderful!! I've carefully cultivating a little stand of rhubarb just to solve this problem myself! I'll be emailing for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your pie is beautiful. i love strawberry-rhubarb pie.

    congrats on the feature. :) so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your farmer's market sounds great! I have 8 farmer's markets around my area open this morning and can't decide which one to go to. Think I'd rather go to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello,

    I love this recipe and I am going to be using it also with some rhubarb and strawberries i picked up at the farmer's market! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on being the big winner this week!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.