Friday, June 19, 2009

Honey Lavender Gelato

This time next week I will be in my hometown getting ready to attend my 15 year high school reunion. My friends and I have been to the 5 and 10 year reunion and had a blast. But this time is different. Now we all have been married for years, have several children and signs of aging are starting to show. We aren't in our twenties anymore! We grew up a little bit. In the past five years I have changed alot. I had back surgery and a second child, both contributing to my 25 pound weight gain, over half of my hair turned gray, and now I've started noticing laugh lines. I noticed that I started to feel silly walking into youthful trendy shops in the mall. Maybe it was because my two kids were acting up or screaming and drawing attention.

My big point is that somewhere in my early thirties I felt a little bit of my youth slipping away. I think this is what my friends are feeling and it makes them nervous about going to the reunion. However, the same thing is happening to everyone our age. Everyone attending that reunion is going to be nervous about something. No one is going to look like they did 15 years ago.


As I was making this ice cream I was thinking to myself, "do I really need to be eating this now". My answer is.....yes, I do!! This ice cream is in celebration of the reunion next weekend. Sometimes we have to own up to who we are and celebrate it. Maybe you've gained weight, gone gray, lost your hair, and have laugh lines. It happens to all of us at one point or another....so celebrate it and enjoy!!


I chose this gelato recipe because it is different and unique. I also love honey! It is surprisingly rich and decadent. In fact, it is so rich and decadent that you can only eat a small amount. The gelato turns out a beautiful honey color and has a definite honey flavor to it. You must love honey to eat this ice cream. I think it would be great with crepes, waffles, french toast, pancakes....you get the idea, right : )

HONEY LAVENDAR GELATO
  • 2 cups of heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon of lavender (wrapped in cheesecloth or a tea ball)
  • 1 cup of local honey
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 12 egg yolks
  • 2 cups of cold heavy cream

Add first 2 cups of heavy cream and lavender (wrapped in cheesecloth or tea ball) to a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for just a minute and remove from heat. Whisk the honey, sugar and egg yolks together until they are pale yellow. Do not let the honey, sugar, and egg yolks mixture set for too long. The sugar will start to cook the egg yolks. Add the warm cream to the egg yolk misture and whisk. Place back over low heat and stir until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat and stir in the cold cream. Chill this mixture until completely cool. Place in your ice cream maker aand spin until it's smooth and set. In my machine it took about 30 minutes.

This recipe makes a ton of gelato. I cut the recipe in half and still had more than enough.

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. I just ordred the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and have been looking for the perfect recipe. I think I've found it! I love the taste and smell of lavender. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for my very own ice-cream maker. I think I've had this gelato at a place in NYC, and remember LOVING it! The pic u have of it is SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gelato has such a great light texture, it's a refreshing treat. I like the delicate flavors in this recipe, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just got an ice cream maker as a gift and want to try this first! I do have one question though: where do you find lavender leaves? I am having trouble finding them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.
    Gelato Machine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.