Sunday, February 20, 2022

Ina Garten's Lemon Yogurt Cake

Here's to me ticking another recipe from the old archives...Ina's Lemon Yogurt Cake. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to make this Lemon Yogurt Cake or the other Lemon Cake Ina is known for. Each and every time I wanted to make this I was without the blasted yogurt or buttermilk. Each and every time!

But no more! I actually had the foresight to procure the ingredients ahead of time. Now to decide between Ina's recipe for Lemon Cake made with buttermilk or her recipe for Lemon Yogurt Cake. They both have great ratings, but this Lemon Yogurt Cake had a lot more reviews so I went with the yogurt version. 

The Lemon Yogurt Cake was just my style... easy! No mixers or equipment needed, only bowls and whisks. That kind of baking is right up my alley. I baked the lemon loaf, then made the lemon syrup to drizzle over it, then made the lemon glaze to drizzle on top. This was lemon loaf perfection! The kind of thing that turns out perfect and everyone loves.

Love was in the air last week, so I shared the lemon loaf with my family, in-law's, and friends. Everyone absolutely loved it!


Lemon Yogurt Cake

Adapted from Food Network

by Ina Garten

Serves 8-10

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/1 teaspoon salt

1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt

1-1/3 cups sugar, divided

3 large eggs (Ina uses extra large)

2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the Glaze

1 cup confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8-1/2 by 4-1/4 by 2-1/2 inch loaf pan (that is so specific - use any loaf pan you like). Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan. (Note: I have a lemon loaf pan that is decorative (see pics) and I cannot line with parchment. I just greased and floured).

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.


 Love Is In The Air @ IHCC

3 comments:

  1. I know I would LOVE this as a fun weekend breakfast cake. This pregnancy has me craving all things lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no doubt in my mind I'd love this cake. There is nothing not to like. The pan mold is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh damn, Kim!! I could lick the screen that cake looks soooo good. I love everything lemon and this cake would make me happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.