Sunday, February 27, 2022

Breakfast Grilled Cheese with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Pesto

  Tieghan Gerard's newest cookbook, Half Baked Harvest Every Day, was due to be released this week but has been postponed for another month or so (probably due to covid, labor shortages, shipping issues, and who knows what else these days). I'm really excited to get my hands on the book, but I can handle waiting another month. There are certainly enough recipes on her site to keep me busy until then.

Lately I've been taking inspiration from what I have on hand when it comes to picking my recipes. A quick search through my pantry reveals an abundance of pesto, jars upon jars of basil pesto and sun-dried tomato pesto. I do a quick search for pesto-based recipes on Tieghan's site and find her Breakfast Grilled Cheese with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Pesto and the rest is history!

Tieghan makes this sandwich with the standard basil pesto, but I was in the mood for sun-dried tomato pesto. I buy the Rao's version and it is one of my favorite things on the planet to eat! If you haven't ever tried it, you should (it is heavenly with burrata on toast). 

I love a regular ol' egg and cheese breakfast sandwich, but I also love to change it up from time to time. I knew this one would be a hit before I even tasted it. I mean buttery sourdough, soft scrambled egg, sharp cheddar, and harvarti, with some of my heaven-sent sun-dried tomato pesto....it was ooey gooey deliciousness! I could start my day with this sandwich every day and be a happy camper! In fact, I have all the ingredients on hand so I just might start my day with this sandwich before work this week!

My co-workers and friends think it's funny that I wake up early enough to make myself a home-cooked breakfast every morning. They say they prefer to sleep in and grab a packaged breakfast bar or yogurt. Not me! I like to treat myself and get my day off to a good start!



 Breakfast Grilled Cheese with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Pesto

Adapted from Half Baked Harvest Blog

Serves 2

4 large eggs

salt and pepper

4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

4 slices sourdough bread

1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded havarti or fontina cheese

1/2 cup basil pesto*

or

1/2 cup sun-dried tomato pesto*

2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives or green onion

honey, for drizzling

Whisk together the eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula gently push/move the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.

Spread the outside of each slice of bread with butter. On the inside of half of the slices of bread, evenly layer the cheese, eggs, and pesto. Add the top piece of bread, buttered side facing up.

Place the sandwiches, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with chives, honey, and sea salt.









Celebrating w/ HBH! @ IHCC

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you to start the day with a warm home-cooked breakfast. This looks so delicious and inspires me to make one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way to it - a homemade breakfast sandwich! Your coworkers don't know what they are missing. Tieghan's website does have so much inspiration but I hope you get your book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like you've honed in on my EXACT pregnancy cravings. I don't think I have the energy on a weekday to make this, but this weekend IT IS HAPPENING.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.