Sunday, February 13, 2022

Ina Garten's Brownie Pudding

 

I remember the episode way back when when Ina first shares her Brownie Pudding. It was at least ten years ago. There are some contractors restoring the old town windmill and Ina brings them lunch along with this rich dense brownie pudding that looks delectable. I feel like I can even remember her saying that it is a big hit with men! Right along with her infamous line, "how good does that look?"

It makes for a good episode, but I'm curious how many of you have taken food to contractors or had as many parties as Mrs. Garten? It has value for the show and I appreciate that, but it just never seems like real life.

Well, I don't have any contractors or publishers coming to my house for a party. I also have to laugh because most of us are in the throes of the pandemic and haven't had people to our house in ages. HOWEVER...we have to treat ourselves occasionally, especially with the Superbowl and Valentine's Day following so close together, SO....

I finally got around to making Mrs. Ina's famous Brownie Pudding. It is quite simply 10 years in the making! I have always been drawn to this recipe because the ingredients are so pantry-friendly and it feels like this recipe is just waiting to be whipped up.

In short, all you need are butter, eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, and very small amount of flour. One of my New Year's goals was to use the gluten free flour more so that my son (who has celiac's disease) can enjoy foods alongside us. It is pricey, but I have found that I like the King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour. 

Since the recipes is so rich, and calls for only 1/2 cup flour, I felt this was a good recipe to sub the gluten free flour as it wouldn't change the overall texture of the dish.The gluten free flour worked well and if you're looking for a gluten free option, I would say this recipe is a good one to adapt!

This Brownie Pudding is very much like a Chocolate Lava Cake...with a crunchy coating on the top! If you are a serious chocolate lover then you will absolutely love this. It is very rich and decadent and definitely screams for vanilla ice cream. Ina says it serves 6. I say it is SO RICH that it could serve 12, or more. My family loves rich foods and even at that, we could only eat a small portion. While this was not our favorite dessert, it was a good solid dessert, especially considering it came together really quickly with pantry based ingredients that everyone has on hand. 

Brownie Pudding

Adapted from Food Network

by Ina Garten 

Serves 6

1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus extra for buttering the dish

4 extra large eggs, at room temp

2 cups sugar

3/4 cup good cocoa powder

1/2 cup all-purpose flour*

seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean (or vanilla bean paste)

1 tablespoon framboise liqueur, optional*

vanilla ice cream, for serving

Note: I used King Arthur Measure For Measure Gluten Free Flour with great results. I didn't have the Framboise Liqueur so I subbed extra vanilla instead.

Preheat the oven to 325F. Lightly butter a 2-quart (9x12-inch) baking dish. Melt the 1/2 pound of butter and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes, until very thick and light yellow. Meanwhile, soft the cocoa powder and flour together and set aside.

When the egg and sugar mixture is ready, reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla seeds or paste, framboise, if using, and the cocoa powder and flour mixture. Mix only until combined. With mixer still on low, slowly pour in the cooled butter and mix again just until combined.

Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish and place it in a larger baking pan. Add enough of the hottest tap water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish and bake for exactly 1 hour. A cake tester inserted 2 inches from the side will come out 3/4 clean. The center will appear very under-baked; this dessert is between a brownie and a pudding.

Allow to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.

Soul-Soothing Dishes @ IHCC

2 comments:

  1. I get excited as you describe this brownie pudding is a contractor dessert. I'm going over the ingredient list to see whether I have everything on hand to make it. You know, what stops me on my track: two sticks of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm imagining this being perfect with vanilla ice cream on top. And yes Ina's show is kind of ridiculous in retrospect...but I think all of the food network shows were kind of like that then?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.