Sunday, February 6, 2022

Bittman's Rich Orange Shakes

 

Three weeks ago after I shared my Berry Shake and submitted the post, I came down with a fever. A horrible high fever that turned out to be covid. I knew the new CDC rules of people being out for only 5 days was bound to get me. Just a couple days back to work and I was positive. Thanks, CDC!

I was lucky. I do know that. But...I don't ever get the short or easy version of any illness. I had to take two weeks off work and do nothing but rest. I pretty much coughed up my lungs and for awhile I was low oxygen. Lucky for me, just as that became rather scary territory, it got better.  I coughed and hacked my way through the next two or three weeks. I couldn't smell or taste, which was way worse than it sounds. I am just now starting to feel human.

I'm starting my 4th week and my taste and smell have mostly come back. I am still coughing and tired. Feeling much better, but still not like my usual self. It has been a good thing we've gotten so much snow and ice lately. The snow days have saved me from having to work full weeks. I still don't think I could work a full week.

During my time off, I was able to rest, take my meds, eat tons of oranges, and drinks lots of OJ. I have lived on oranges and popsicles and all manner of fluids.

I remembered this Rich Orange Milkshake in Bittman's How To Cook Everything and figured it was a recipe I could manage for my first week back to blogging. Something easy. Something orange. Something cool, and creamy, and delicious and not overloaded with sugar.

Please take care of yourself! It is fair to say that with those brainless CDC rules, Covid is everywhere. I am completely healthy and covid knocked me for a loop. I never expected to be low oxygen. Not for a few days, not for a day, not even for a minute. I have completely healthy lungs. You just never know how it will hit you.

Take your vitamin C, get rest, and wear the mask or do whatever you can to avoid it!

 

 

Rich Orange Milkshake

Adapted from How To Cook Everything

by Mark Bittman

Serves 4

4 cups orange juice

1 cup milk or half-and half

1 cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla

sugar, or simple syrup, to taste

1 cup crushed ice

Combine all ingredients in a blender and whiz until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more vanilla, sugar, or sugar syrup if necessary.


Blend It Up @ IHCC


3 comments:

  1. Sorry you've thrown a curve ball and gotten scary sick from Covid. Rich creamy shake sounds amazing. Take good care of yourself. Thanks for your service being the brave ones on the front line. We salute your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO sorry to hear you were ill with Covid. We are triple vaxed but still avoid being out in public places as much as we can. Obviously we have to shop for food but we stick to home a lot. Glad you are feeling better nnow but that must have seemed like a very long month to get there.
    Take care Kim!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you had to go through this! This is why when people say "oh it's just mild to moderate" it drives me crazy because it is SUCH A SPECTRUM and mild/moderate can actually be pretty suck. So glad you're on the other end of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.