Sunday, December 9, 2018

Lentil, Sausage, and Brown Rice Stew


"House to myself. Quiet music playing. Chop. Slice. Sizzle
Stir. Nothing but my senses. I am at peace."

I love a quiet kitchen. Gives me time to think while I do some of my favorite things: chop, slice, stir. The sound of onions sizzling in the pan, and the aroma that follows shortly thereafter, hold the promise of good things to come.

Kitchen therapy is the best kind of therapy. Crafting something with my own two hands. It doesn't get any better than that.

This stew lends itself perfectly to kitchen therapy as I sliced, chopped, stirred, and smelled my way to happiness. Not to mention, I was even more satisfied at the chance to use up an abundance of brown rice and lentils I found languishing about in my pantry. I always feel quite accomplished when I use up all the bits and bobs laying about.

This is a soul-soothing wintry stew that comes together with humble ingredients and love. I'm convinced it holds the power to heal whatever ails you.
Ruth says, "In cold weather when we ponder what dish will provide comfort all weekend long, we decide with remarkable frequency to make this stew. The beauty of using brown rice is that it keeps its texture during the long cooking time (white rice becomes too soft). Adding about a pound of smoked sausage makes a great dish even better. For a vegetarian meal, use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock"

Lentil, Sausage Brown Rice Stew
Adapted The Gourmet Cookbook
by Ruth Reichl
Serves 6-8

1 (28-ounce to 32-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice
5 cups chicken stock 
3 cups water
1-1/2 cups lentils picked over and rinsed
 1 cup brown rice
3 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4" wide pieces 
1 onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/3 - 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley (to taste)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar, or to taste
salt and black pepper, to taste

 Combine tomatoes, with their juice, stock, water, lentils, rice, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf in a 6-quart heavy pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils and rice are tender, 45 to 55 minutes.

Stir in cilantro, vinegar, salt, and pepper and discard bay leaf. Stew will be thick, and it will continue to thicken as it stands; if desired, thin with additional hot chicken broth or water before serving.


Kitchen Therapy @ I Heart Cooking Clubs

Every Sunday @ Kahakai Kitchen



3 comments:

  1. It looks delicious--you know how I love my lentils and rice. ;-) Thank you for sharing your stew with Souper Sundays this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lentils and rice sounds so comforting and delicious (and healthy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quiet kitchen and a soul-soothing stew is more than kitchen therapy, it's a good life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.