Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Recipe #54 - Stirring the Pot: Salmon "Slashed and Stuffed" with Basil Butter


I took a big break cooking from Tyler's Stirring the Pot, but now I'm back in the kitchen with Tyler and I'm loving it! My goal is to crank out several of Tyler's summer-inspired recipes that highlight fresh and seasonal produce while it is still available. This Salmon "Slashed and Stuffed" with Basil Butter is the perfect recipe to utilize seasonal produce: lots of garden fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, onion, fennel and red bell pepper. I was lucky enough to find all these ingredients at the Farmer's Market. This recipe is gorgeous when plated and really flavorful and delicious. It really exceeded my expectations!

Salmon "Slashed and Stuffed With Basil Butter (recipe also found HERE on Food Network)
Ratatouille:
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
pinch crushed red pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 red sweet bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cups cherry tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Herbed Bread Crumbs:
2 cups panko
1 bunch fresh basil sprigs (about 16 sprigs), leaves only
1/2 bunch fresh Italian flat-leat parsley (8 sprigs), leaves only
Salmon:
1 bunch fresh basil sprigs (16 sprigs), leaves only
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 whole side of salmon, cleaned and scaled (about 2 pounds total)

For the Ratatouille, place a large pan over medium heat and add a 3-count of oil (about 3 tablespoons). Add garlic, crushed red pepper, thyme, and the vegetables, gently squeezing the tomatoes as you add them. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes until vegetables wilt. Pour vegetables onto a sheet tray and set aside.

For the Herbed Bread Crumbs, in a food processor combine panko, basil, and parsley. Pulse until the crumbs are green. Set aside.

To make the Basil Butter, roughly chop the basil. In a food processor combine basil and butter. Pulse until fully combined and creamy. (Note: Tyler's basil butter appears green but does in fact turn green until the salmon is removed from the oven and served).

Preheat oven to 400F. Using a chef's knife, make slits on the skin side of the fish. Paint the skin side of the fish with the Basil Butter. Carefully place the fish, skin side up, on top of the sheet tray covered with Ratatouille. Bake about 15 minutes, until top is golden and bubbly. Top the fish with Herbed Bread Crumbs and switch on the broiler. Broil for 5 minutes, until golden and crispy.

Notes/Results: A whole side of salmon was not available so I opted to use 4 salmon fillets. I made the whole batch of Ratatouille, which was phenomenal. I quartered the recipe for the Herbed Bread Crumbs and halved the recipe for the Basil Butter. These adaptions worked out well and everyone REALLY enjoyed this dish. I was expecting it to be good, but it was sensational. The salmon was tender, buttery and delicious and the Ratatouille was out of this world delicious. The farm fresh flavor of the vegetables and fresh really stood out. This would be a wonderful meal to entertain with and serve to company this summer.

I am submitting this to my friend girlichef who is a co-host of the wonderful new foodie event, Two for Tuesdays.

22 comments:

  1. That is one amazing looking salmon dish. I saw yesterday you were going to be posting this recipe and I was hoping it was going to be soon, lol! I love salmon and this sounds so good with the basil butter, herbed bread crumbs and all those wonderful veggies! Thanks for sharing such a fantastic dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, helllooooo Tyler...it's been far too long ;) !! This sounds like an awesome recipe, Kim! I bet those summer veg flavors paired with the salmon...and that butter...were killer! Serious drool action going on over here! Thanks so much for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays this week, too =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobby Flay and Tyler Florence in one week? I'm loving it! This recipe sounds incredible, we love salmon and this dish would be a hit with my crowd. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful dinner. I love salmon, and I love the flavours and colours of this dish. Beautifully done.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny - I ALMOST made this this weekend. Now I wish I had. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a new and novel idea!! such a crowd pleaser...terrific Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm. Basil butter! This is such a nice summer recipe and that last photo is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to eat dinner at your house! This looks fantastic.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks soo good, Kim! I'm not even a salmon fan, but I'd eat this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this sounds insanely good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK basil butter! That is heavenly and pushes any fish dish over the top! I know I will be getting basil in my CSA tomorrow and there is always a mad rush to use it before it is too late!!! Now I know what to do next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back with Tyler...yeah! Love his recipes. This one looks stunning on the plate, Kim. I particularly like the last picture (above your notes) Also not a fan of salmon but would be willing to give this dish a try. And I can see the herbed bread crumbs making their way into lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow this rocks, love salmon I write for an Alaskan seafood company can i feature this and link to you
    rebecca
    rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks incredible! I'm not sure whether the herbed breadcrumbs or the basil butter makes me drool more. ;-) Here's to Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kimbo, this is one awesome FEED as my Scottish friend stevie would say! You get that salmon can handle some pretty intense flavors. I think sometimes people forget that! Thanks SO much for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow--that looks like a dish worth making for sure! Once and awhile I will have a dish that is SO good, I'll make it numerous times within the next few weeks..I think this recipe would be one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kim - this is stunning. Using all the fruits of summer (all right vegetables). So many flavors - and then the basil - which always makes me sing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks good on so many levels! I only recently tried fennel and really like it.

    BTW, you are only just up the road from me. It's fun to run into another KY blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Because of the children's movie Ratatouille my kids now love this dish - yours seems a little lighter than I have made before - I will be trying it next time. Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks fabulous. I am going to have to make this. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks amazing and sounds delicious! I love salmon and love the idea of stuffing it with basil butter! YUM! Thanks for sharing this at Two for Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.