Monday, August 9, 2010

Popsicle of the Week: Katie Lee's Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles


I've really been enjoying Katie Lee's newest book, The Comfort Table: Recipes for Everyday Occasions. Katie's book is organized by menus: Sunday Supper; Retro Cocktail Party; Spa Lunch; Garden Party; and Summer Barbecue to name just a few. These delicious Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles came from the Summer Barbecue Chapter and are as simple as simple gets.


Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles
Adapted from Recipes for Everyday Occasions The Comfort Table
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: at least 4 hours to freeze
1 cup plain greek-style yogurt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted cherries (thawed, if frozen)

Mix the yogurt and honey until combined. Stir in the cherries. Divide among 6 ice-pop molds. Freeze at least 4 hours, until completely solid.


Notes/Results:
I loved these popsicles, the kids did not. There is just something about chunks of fruit that seem to throw the kids off. Either way, I ate them all;-) I loved the use of cherries in this recipe but you could really use any kind of fruit.

WARNING: RANT IN PROGRESS!!

In other popsicle news: I divorced my Zoku Quick Pop Maker. The only time I plan on using it is for straight up fruit juice popsicles. I mentioned having problems with my Zoku a couple months ago and the folks at Zoku were kind enough to leave me a comment with some advice. At that time I was trying to use the Zoku for popsicles containing cream and half and half. The folks at Zoku informed me that the cream and half and half had too much fat content and would result in a "soft pull". "Soft pull" means that just the popsicle stick comes out leaving the popsicle in the mold. After quite a few failed attempts I was pretty frustrated. Then the folks at Zoku told me that I could use yogurt with good results. Well, I'm very sad (and quite angry to be honest) to tell you that you cannot use yogurt in the Zoku. I recently had another round of "soft pull" when using the "zoku recommended" yogurt while making this recipe for Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles.

In case anyone from Zoku is reading, this little note is for you:

Greek yogurt ($2.99), Organic honey from Farmer's Market ($8), Bag of Organic Frozen Cherries ($4.49), time and frustration (priceless).

My note to all of you: Don't be seduced by the Zoku! Save yourself the $50 and just buy some old-fashioned molds like these (Kmart $2.99):

Sometimes it's just better to stick with the old-fashioned stuff that you know works!

This is my submission for the fabulous new event called Two For Tuesdays, co-hosted by my friend girlichef.

NOTE: My daughter is going back to school tomorrow. I can hardly believe that summer break is over with! I am going to close out the Popsicle of the Week feature next week with two yummy popsicle recipes!!

26 comments:

  1. Great looking Popsicle. I love eating Greek yogurt drizzled with honey so I'm sure this would be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I'm so sorry the zoku has turned out so abominably! I hate it when products bomb so much. Those pops though are my favorite yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I love your honesty about the Zoku! I've been seeing it everywhere and now in black and white I get the real goods on what happens behind the curtains. Sometimes all the whistles and bells aren't worth the price, love your darling K-Mart versions, they have a great shape and no soft pull!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What yummy popsicles. Guess the kids just need it blended up. They will grow into their grown up tastebuds. I would have eaten them, maybe more than I should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. School already? Is that normal for the U.S.?
    They go back in September here.
    Love the ice pops, you are the ice pop queen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your honest critique! I almost bought one, now I won't!
    And I can't believe school is already in session for you! We have a few more weeks, but it goes by way too fast. So not ready for Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, school already!? We have 2 more weeks...but it's closing in fast! I would be totally pissed if that happened...not just frustrated. I agree, stick with the good old-fashioned molds (which you can even find at the dollar store for...well...a dollar...sometimes)!! That said..YUM! These sound simple...healthy...delicious! I would gobble them up !! Thanks for sharing these with Two for Tuesdays this week ,too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think those popsicles look great. It's the honey in them that caught my attention.

    I'm making a treat tonight b/c The Boy started school today. Our ritual is that he gets to pick what we have for dinner and we have dessert.

    Definitely frustrating about the popsicle maker. That stinks. I recently had a similar experience. To try to eliminate plastic water bottle waste, I spent money on a fancy pitcher and tons of money on replacement filters and no one wants to use it b/c it's a pita. I agree with the Dyson guy: "I just think things should work properly."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greek yogurt is da Bomb! I have been keeping up with you through Google reader...just back online now and will be off to visit.
    Hard to beleiev it's back to school time already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the "divorce" Kim (LOL), but I have to say this is the yummiest popsicle I've ever seen. I don't even eat popsicles but I would eat these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the Onyx stainless steel popsicle molds. So easy to use and they clean a lot easier than plastic. They're a bit more expensive but would probably last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those popsicles sound like a great flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about the popsicles Kim! I understand the frustration. I hate wasting food and money. These popsicles rock! I love how Greek yogurt tastes with honey - it's like they were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love to see your popsicle recipes. Thanks for linking up with Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are so sorry to see the end coming to your popsicle of the week series. Though glad you gave us your direct opinion about the Zoku. I'd been wanting one, at least up until now. I'll just have to go shopping for the old fashioned kind of molds instead. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. how frustrating! i'm sorry you had to go through all of that. there is nothing more obnoxious to me then things that don't work properly, especially when they are expensive!

    the pops look great though! i actually love the chunks, the chunkier the better! these flavors sound like they would be beautiful together too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who gets the kids in the divorce? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a yummy sounding recipe - I know I would love them! My kids go back in 6 days - sob - summer is too short! Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kim, I am SOOO glad you posted your rant because you know I was all set to buy this thingermabob as soon as I had some expendable spendables! No way now! I have my old molds and will stick with them. I too love the combo of cherry and yogurt, so this is gonna be a momma pop for me! Thanks for posting on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great simple combination of ingredients--these would be a favorite of mine too I think--yum! I am bummed the Zoku--a friend asked me about it the other day but I was telling her about your problems with it and we found her a great set of the good old molds instead on sale. Bad Zoku! ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would have thought the Zoku would have been a great product...mainly because they aren't all that cheap! I am glad you gave your honest opinion. I love Katie Lee's books as they are simple yet delicious and I know I would love these as well. I recently did her Spa Day section of the book with my daughter and had ourselves a perfectly relaxing spa day filled with great food and a yummy face scrub.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the honest review. I was considering buying popsicle molds and my wallet really appreciates your honesty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I appreciate your honesty. You most likely saved a number of people the effort and money of purchasing one.

    I would hope that the company works on improving the product or at least, warning the public, it is not suitable for yogurt.

    It would be good if they chose to write a letter explaining to all of us, what went wrong. It would also be nice, if they refunded your expenses.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome looking popsicle - got me all dreaming about summer now (or spring at least). Officially only 19 days of winter left - yay!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. i made these pops yesterday in my zoku and it FAILED. then, i put them in popsicle molds last night and they STILL haven't frozen!!! came across your post while googling to see if anyone else had problems with this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My sister has a Zoku, and has similar complaints. When she wasn't getting "soft pulls," her popsicle sticks just broke. I have a Hamilton Beach brand version (link below) and I couldn't be more happy with it. It works excellently with yogurt! The molds are definitely a hassle-free way to go, but sometimes you want a popsicle RIGHT NOW, and that's why I love my popsicle maker. Ten minutes and they're ready to eat. The sticks are more grippy than the Zoku's stick too (which are just basically ribbed) and it comes with a "pop remover tool," which sounds useless, but makes it a) easier to pull the popsicle out and b) easier to pull the popsicle out STRAIGHT to avoid sticks breaking.

    http://www.sears.ca/product/hamilton-beach-fast-pop-maker/611-000227421-68770?extid=120511_ca_1search_2en_3gogl_4home_5home-small-appliances-dynamic_6appliances-kitchen&gclid=CLTb-qTAibICFQUUKgodhXgAnQ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.