Monday, August 16, 2010

Farewell to Popsicle of the Week: A Trio of Tropical Popsicles


Betcha didn't know that I have a popsicle tree in my backyard!!

LOL! I've had a hard time with the natural light inside my house and taking pictures SO I decided to take it outside. It seems the best place to take pictures outside is right by my little palm tree on the back patio. I had to laugh when I made three popsicles and all three had the palm tree in the background. It's like a magical popsicle tree............ wouldn't that be fun?

I had a little time to myself the other day and remembered girlichef's Mango on a Stick. Even though it is in fact a mango on a stick, it rates as a sort of popsicle in my book. Girli says "A warm, ripe mango is skewered, peeled, sliced into petals, doused with the juice of a lime, then sprinkled with salt and chile piquín." Please visit her post HERE to read her seductive description of this glorious treat! It truly was one of the best treats I've had in some time. Outside on the back patio I was like a kid again, mango juice dripping down my arms, chili powder all over my face, it was the perfect way to enjoy some down time! Thanks Heather! (Note: Feel free to poke fun at my "so called petals". I can take it:) I never claimed to be much of an artist).

Taking a page from my friend Natashya at Living in the Kitchen with Puppies, I wanted to make at least one popsicle with alcohol this summer so I tried my hand at mixing banana nectar and Bahamian vanilla rum (4ozs. nectar to 1 oz. rum). The addition of the rum helped the pops to stay on the softer side, which I really enjoyed. Plus, I really did taste the rum which was a nice grown up twist on a popsicle. I can't wait to experiment with different flavors and types of alcohol! Click HERE to check out Nastashya's Easy-Peasy Raspberry Ice Pops made with a handful of frozen raspberries and some raspberry liqueur.

The third pop is a really fun one from Erica's site, My Colombian Recipes. When Erica posted her Paletas de Coco con Bocadillo (Coconut and Guava Paste Popsicles) I knew I had to try them. Thanks to Velva at Tomatoes on the Vine, I had just enough guava paste left to make a batch of these delicious pops. Let me tell you, these are some decadent pops. How can you resist that wonderful combination of coconut milk, heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk? I was really excited to try these, not only because they have tasty little chunks of guava paste, but also because I had never made a pop with sweetened condensed milk before. The consistency of this pop was so creamy that it was almost like an ice cream pop. We loved eating them and biting into a chewy frozen chunk of the guava paste. They were a real treat! Please click HERE to see Erica's recipe.

For my last popsicle post I wanted to compile a list of favorites but as I was taking notes I realized that they all were favorites. We liked them all for different reasons. Popsicles are such a fun treat and the Popsicle of the Week feature has been one of the most fun projects I've taken on in awhile. All in all, I think I made about 15-16 popsicles and there are still lots of recipes that I'd like to try. There were some challenges along the way, mostly issues with unmolding pops from the Zoku or other various molds.

Although I won't be posting popsicles weekly, I will still be making them from time to time. In fact, I have a few in mind once fall begins!!

20 comments:

  1. I dare you to make pumpkin popsicles in the fall! double dare you! Triple double dare you!

    This is like a mega popsicle edition of popsicle-of-the-week. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I am so looking forward to fall. I can't wait for it to get here (I can't believe I'm even saying that but it's been a hot HUMID summer) and I'm looking forward to your fall popsicles. I notice you're reading The Neely's. I'm assuming we'll be treated to some Neely recipes soon? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your popsicles are always so creative and divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm with joanne on the pumpkin popsicles, how fun, and it actually sounds really good. it's crazy that the summer is actually coming to an end. i've loved your popsicle posts, i bet your kids did too. i love the banana-rumsicles, mmmm, what a great treat to enjoy on a lazy summer night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who takes their food outside for pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesnt everyone have a popsicle tree, mine grows next to my money tree.. hehe, looks great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I have not ventured into the popsicle world but reading all of your posts makes me want to buy a mold and have at it. Love the grown up version with the rum and the one with the guava and coconut just sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All right - you need to know I llike some of the grown-up versions - a popsicle cocktail - grabs me. I go outside a lot for photos. i don't know what I will do in the winter...

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! They all sound so good. Especially the ones with the alcohol. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all looked wonderful. There is something about popsicles that brings out the kid in me. Especially the one made for grown-ups :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, what a yummy selection. I'd especially love to try the coconut and guava ones. They sound amazing.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice array of flavours.
    I'm glad you will continue this series as I've just gotten round to buy some popsicle moulds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could easily eat all of them right now! What creative flavors you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A popsicle tree - you'd make a million if you could figure that one out. I'll buy two :-) I sure have enjoyed your different popsicles and always think of you when I see pops in the freezer section at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I had a popsicle tree with banana and rum pops! How divine! These are all so exotic sounding - makes me feel like I'm in the Bahamas! The guava sounds luscious too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd like a Popsicle tree in my back yard. I've really enjoyed your pop of the week feature. These sound like three must make Popsicles.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL!!! Imperfect petals do not equal imperfect taste...tee hee. I think it looks fabulous...and I told ya it was awesome! Thanks for the shout out. I totally want to try both of the others pops! I mean booze...of course ;) And I love the inside of the guava paste one...how deeeelicious! So hard to say goodbye to popsicles....

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK, don't know why I haven't tried the mango yet! ;-) What a great post to end your weekly feature on. All of the pops look delicious. I am glad the banana nectar ones turned out. I am still craving the cucumber mojito-style adult pops from the book I tried earlier in the summer-- need to make more of those. The guava paste ones are just gorgeous.

    Great post! I look forward to your fall pops! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.