Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tyler's Pulled Pork and Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Pulled pork is one of my favorite things to eat if it is done well. I first tried this recipe a couple months ago, but I only had a 2 pound pork shoulder and we didn't have that much pulled pork when it was all said and done. Ever since then I have had my eye out for a large pork shoulder/boston butt. I finally found a 4 pound pork shoulder at Whole Foods last week and I knew immediately that I wanted to make this recipe again.

This pulled pork begins by creating a simple and easy dry rub for the meat. It can marinate overnight, but can also marinate for as little as one hour. The dry rub are things that are typical pantry spices and nothing that I had to buy special. The meat cooks for 6 hours and is a dream to shred. In fact, I was able to shred it all in less than 5 minutes. The dry rub creates a wonderful flavor throughout the meat and carried over after shredding. It wouldn't be necessary to have any barbecue sauce with this pulled pork because it has a wonderful overall taste. However, I had all the ingredients on hand for Tyler's barbecue sauce, included in this recipe, so I decided to go all out. I am so glad that I did! I loved his barbecue sauce and again it is made from items that are usually in every pantry. It was easy to make and easily the best barbecue sauce around. It was sweet, tangy, and spicy and it is almost gone!! I'm wishing there was more of it because it would be nice on other things as well.

I attempted to make some sandwich buns from the King Arthur website and I am sad to report that they did not turn out. This was very upsetting to have pulled pork and no bread/buns. I have to say that I was very dissapointed with the King Arthur directions and recipe and probably will not use their website for future recipes. However, I must admit that their flour is the best and the only one you'll see in my pantry. The next day, I decided to use Tyler's recipe for Parker House Rolls, which was successful. I paired these sandwiches with the peach salad I had made the same day and the flavors were very complimentary.

Everything about this recipe makes it a total keeper! If you like barbecue foods and want to try pulled pork, please check this recipe out online at Food Network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-ultimate/pulled-pork-sandwich-recipe/index.html.

10 comments:

  1. I love pulled pork, I usually make it in the crockpot - not authentic at all, but still good. Sorry your bread didn't come out, I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks VERY yummy. It's on our menu for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally smitten with pulled pork sandwiches! I miss good BBQ - it is okay in spots here in nyc, but it was so much better down south. I'm marking this to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim- This looks super-fantasstic. I LOVE it. TF just rocks, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pulled pork sandwich! So surprised to hear that the KA recipe didn't work out. :(
    Love Tyler's Parker House Rolls though, I have made them a couple of times too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a rave review like that, I must go and find a large piece of pork. I love pulled pork, but I usually use a pork tenderloin - which can dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to make this recipe. I love pulled pork. Love it. This will be on the menu soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have got to try this pulled pork, I've never had it before and it always looks so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great recipe for a crowd, decadent with homemade bread/buns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for passing this on. i'm going to look for a 4 pounder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.