Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chicken Parmesan *Recipe 22 Page 84*


This is a great classic recipe and will become a staple in my home. For some reason we usually go out to eat and get chicken parmesan. Why oh why do I spend $12 or more on this when I can make a whole batch for the price of one? Anyway, this chicken parmesan was even good leftover the next day.
CHICKEN PARMESAN
extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 bunch fresh basil sprigs (about 8 sprigs), leaves only
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
2 28-ounce cans whole San Marzano tomatoes - handcrushed-
pinch sugar
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1.5 lbs. total)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1 8oz. ball fresh mozzarella, drained
freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
1 pound spaghetti

Note: I made one change to this recipe. Tyler said to drain the 2 28oz. cans of tomatoes. I did this to begin with and reserved the liquid. (I don't throw anything out, let alone San Marzano tomato juice). While cooking the tomato sauce it was very chunky and did not look like it would cover the whole dish. It also didn't look very appealing either. I added all the tomato juice back into the sauce and it was still barely enough to cover the chicken and the spaghetti. If you try this recipe....save your juice. You will probably need it.

Saute 1 medium onion with the garlic and bay leaves in about 2 tbsp of olive oil. Cook and stir for 5 minutes until fragrant and soft. Hand tear half of the basil leaves. Add the olives and hand-torn basil. Carefully add the tomatoes; cook and stir about 15 minutes until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper. Lower the heat, cover, and keep warm. **This is where you will probably have to add your juice back in depending on how you like your sauce.

Cover yoru chicken breasts with parchment or plastic wrap and pound until 1/2 thin. Put the flour on a large shallow plate; season flour with salt and pepper. Combine eggs and water in a wide bowl and beat until frothy. Put the breadcrumbs on another large plate and season with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof saute pan heat a 3-count of oil over medium-high heat. Lightly dredge both sides of the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, then dip them in the egg wash to coat, letting excess drip off. Finally, dredge the cutlets in the breadcrumbs. When the oil in the skillet is hot, add cutlets and saute for 4 minutes on each side, until golden and crusty, turning once.

Set aside 1 cup of the tomato-olive sauce. Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken (I left some chicken showing because I like the crispy parts) and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan. Bake about 15 minutes or until bubbly.

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti to package directions and toss with remaining tomato-olive sauce (or leave it plain for your 7 year old daughter who is picky). Cut remaining basil leaves into shreds. Serve chicken over spaghetti and garnish with shredded basil. (Then cut the chicken breast in half and share with your mom because it is way too much to eat).

Takes about 1.5 hours
Suggested servings is 4, but we served about 5-6 with 3 chicken breasts (they were huge) I think each person can only eat about 1/2 of a chicken breast.

Enjoy! Coming up soon is Chicken with Mushrooms and Marsala and the February special for Tyler Florence Fridays!

9 comments:

  1. This looks delightful.. I love chicken parmesan. I have to try it. I am adding you to my blogroll. I love cheking in with your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, this dish looks absolutely lovely. My mouth watered as I read each ingredient, LOL. And your Bacon-Wrapped Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding post was absolutely divine!
    By the way, since you love Tyler Florence, I have details about this great contest he is hosting. Feel free to contact me at nicoleATm80imDOTcom for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken parmesan... this is a really delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm.. I love chicken parmesan.
    I know what you mean about eating out - the more I learn how to cook at home, the less likely we are to go out for food.
    Looks like a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo! It looks and sounds wonderful. All of what you made this week looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one bookmarked to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY...this looks so good! I love a good Chicken Parmesan and have this one on my TODO list too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chicken parm is great! Looking through all of your recipes from this book are (a) making me salivate and (b) working on my subconscious to get on amazon.com right now and buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear this is good because it is on my menu plan for next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.