Sunday, March 27, 2022

Ina's Skillet-Roasted Chicken and Potatoes {One Of My All-Time Favorite Ina Garten Dishes}!!

This time next week I will be leisurely strolling down Bourbon Street in the city that has been my #1 destination for as long as I can remember. I have always, always, always wanted to go to New Orleans more than anywhere else on the planet. I am not sure why I've waited 46 years to do it.

I am currently in the midst of trying to loose at least 5 pounds so I can make up for it next week because....I AM GOING TO EAT ALL THE THINGS!! 

This time next Sunday I hope to be shoveling a Muffaletta from Central Grocery into my mouth, followed by some beignets from both Cafe Du Monde and Cafe Beignet...we have to see which one is best!

There's going to be lots of po'boys, seafood, Cajun and Creole food, drinks and desserts and I literally cannot wait.

In the meantime, I am making one of my ALL-TIME favorite Ina Garten dishes, her Skilllet-Roasted Chicken and Potatoes. I have made this dish several times and let me tell you...DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS INCREDIBLE DISH!

It is easy and simple and oh so flavorful! It is just plain succulent! I am convinced this is the perfect Sunday meal for 2! Yes, I said for 2. This is so good that it will likely only serve 2 and you will need to make another batch if you have any hopes of serving 4. 

The chicken is flavorful and oh so tender from soaking in the buttermilk. The potatoes on the bottom get crispy and and steeped in caramelized garlic and it is just heaven. 

I would recommend this dish to anyone (anyone that eats meat) and I think you will find that you will love it just as much as I do!

Plus, I have to point out that this dish is highly economical, made with ingredients you likely have on hand, easy to put together, overall quite healthy, and most of all...heavenly! It's the bomb!

This is definitely a repeat dish in my kitchen and will be on my top 10 favorites of the year. I make it again and again because it is so darn good!

 

 

Skillet-Roasted Chicken and Potatoes

from Modern Comfort Food

by Ina Garten

Serves 4

4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (2-1/2 to 3 pounds total)

salt and freshly ground black pepper

2-1/2 cups buttermilk, shaken

good olive oil

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon dry white wine, such as Chablis

1-1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

1/8 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika

1 pound medium Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick

1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives

At least 4 hours (but not more than 12 hours) before you plan to serve, sprinkle the chicken all over with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place in a 1-gallon sealable plastic bag and pour in the buttermilk. Seal the bag and massage it lightly to be sure the chicken is coated with the buttermilk. Place in the refrigerator to marinate.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in an unheated 12" cast-iron skillet and tilt the pan so the oil covers the bottom. Lift the thighs out of the buttermilk, letting any excess buttermilk drip off, and place them in the skillet, skin side up, in one layer. Discard the marinade. In a small bowl, combine the mustard and wine and brush it on the top of the chicken. Sprinkle with the thyme, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place the skillet in the oven and roast the chicken for 30 minutes.

Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate and put the potatoes, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into the skillet. Toss to coat with the pan juices then spread the potatoes out. Return the chicken to the skillet, placing it on the potatoes. Roast 30 minutes longer until the chicken registers 155 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.

Transfer just the chicken to a plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Return the skillet to the oven, raise the temperature to 425F and roast the potatoes for 15 minutes, until they're tender and starting to brown. Return the chicken to the pan and sprinkle with the parsley, chives, and extra salt. Serve hot from the skillet. 





3 comments:

  1. Have so much fun in NOLA!! Glad to see a recipe success after the last few not-so-great ones...Ina never steers you wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you take photos and post when you are in New Orleans! Sounds amazing. I agree with Joanne, you can't go wrong with Ina. This looks good and happy to hear it's economical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong with any Ina Garten recipe. This looks like one I'd love to add to my repertoire. Hope NOLA was fun. What I wouldn't do for an order of their famous begneits!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.