Sunday, March 13, 2022

Jalapeno Garlic Butter Shrimp

 

This week I'm doing some spring cleaning in the kitchen; cleaning out the fridge, the freezers, and the pantry. I have lots of shrimp in the freezer that needs to be used, as well as a huge bag full of hot peppers from a friend's garden last summer. A quick peruse through my Half Baked Harvest books and I found just the recipe to help me use up some ingredients, Tieghan's Jalapeno Garlic Butter Shrimp. 

I mixed up a quick marinade for the shrimp: olive oil, honey, garlic, jalapenos, lime juice, and lemon juice. I did give pause here because I know that lemon and lime juice cooks fish and seafood and I've never marinaded any seafood or fish before.

Tieghan says to marinade the shrimp for 15-30 minutes. I marinaded my shrimp for exactly 15 minutes before searing them in a very hot cast iron pan. The shrimp cooked quickly, but after searing them she says to add the marinade into the pan. I followed the directions and as soon as all that liquid hit the pan I regretted it. Instead of sauteing, the shrimp were now boiling and steaming in the marinade, not necessarily the vibe I was going for.

I pulled a shrimp out and tasted it. It was overcooked. My guess is adding the marinade which made the shrimp boil and steam, turned them into rubber. It was either that or marinading the shrimp in lemon and lime juice, or a combination of the marinading and the steaming/boiling. The flavors were ok, the jalapenos gave the shrimp just the right amount of heat, but I also didn't care for the addition of the honey. 

Half Baked Harvest struck out last week and is striking out again this week. I am definitely going to cook with a different chef next week.

As far as shrimp recipes go, I think I will definitely stick to my very favorite shrimp dish of all time, Rick Bayless' Quick Fried Shrimp with Sweet Toasty Garlic, because the garlic is front and center and the shrimp are cooked to perfection. I still remember the first time I made this and accidentally inhaled the entire dish straight out of the pan.


Jalapeno Garlic-Butter Shrimp

Adapted from Half Baked Harvest Super Simple

by Tieghan Gerard

Serves 4

1 pound large, raw tail-on shrimp, peeled and deveined

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons honey

4 to 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped

Juice of 1 lime

Juice of 1 lemon

4 tablespoons butter

 salt and freshly ground pepper

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large zip-top bag (or mixing bowl if you don't use bags), combine the shrimp, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the honey, garlic, jalapenos, lime juice, and lemon juice. Turn to coat Marinate in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes.

In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, use a slotted spoon to scoop the shrimp and garlic out of the marinade, reserving it, and transfer them to the skillet. Cook until the shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes per side. Add the reserved marinade, butter, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the garlic turns light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cilantro.

Serve this shrimp by itself, or over rice, or stuff into tacos and finish it off with your favorite slaw!







 





Spring Cleaning (the fridge, freezer, and pantry) @ IHCC!

3 comments:

  1. That's too bad the shrimp was overcooked. I have to say, I had a big disapointment with one of her recipes which I guess I will post as a fail. In case anyone else wants to try that recipe, they can see for themselves.

    I overcooked shrimp using a Southern Living recipe was which was clearly not tested. You baked the shrimp and I followed directions but, we had to toss it all. I look forward to your recipe and experience next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have good instincts from years of cooking and blogging. Interestingly, we all fall in the occasional traps that in retrospect seem so simple to avoid. Juice from one lemon and one lime to marinate one pound of shrimps are way too much, in acidity and in hydration, if any is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh such a bummer to have another recipe fail! I am also in clean-out-the-freezer mode to make room for sauces etc that will give us some easy meals when the baby comes (and also - hopefully - some frozen breastmilk stash haha). So far I've succeeded in...buying more ice cream. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.