Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irish Nachos

 Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Back when I worked full-time, my co-workers and I used to go to a place called Lynagh's Irish Pub for lunch.  One of our favorite things to get were the Irish Nachos.  The Irish Nachos at Lynagh's were a lot like cheese fries, but way more special.  Potatoes were cut into somewhat thick slices, resembling English chips.  Once the chips were fried, they were topped with tons of cheese, bacon, jalapenos, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and sour cream.   Eating those Irish Nachos at lunchtime was not only good fun, but a total escape from reality.

This morning, while doing the Irish Jig in water aerobics, I remembered those Irish Nachos and knew I had to make them.  Is it wrong to think about super fattening food while working out?  No?  Ok, good! 
 Irish Nachos
Adapted from Lynagh's Irish Pub
Serves 1-4, depending on how hungry 

1 large russet potato, sliced 1/4"-1/2" thick
3 strips of bacon, fried and cut into strips
handful of cheddar cheese, or other favorite cheese
handful of sliced green onions
handful of sliced jalapenos, more or less to taste

Fry sliced potatoes at 375F for 2-3 minutes and remove from oil.  Allow your oil to come back up to 375F and fry for a second time, 3-4 minutes, or until desired crispiness.  Top your hot fried potatoes with the handful of cheese and allow to melt.  (You may stick the potatoes and cheese under the broiler to melt.)  When the cheese is melted, top with toppings of your choice, including: bacon, sliced green onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.  

Eat it like a shark!
Oh yes!  My Irish eyes are smiling!
Notes/Results:  Delicious!  I know you all know how to make cheese fries, but I wanted to share this idea because it's a different way to celebrate St. Patty's Day.  You can customize this to your liking.  I think this concept would be terrific topped with some shredded corned beef , maybe some swiss cheese, and quite possibly a little drizzle of thousand island?  You really can't go wrong!

27 comments:

  1. You are a genius! I was planning on making a reuben quiche with my leftovers from tonight - I'll definitely give your nachos a whirl with the rest of the leftovers -yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watch Paula Deen and the Neelys while working out...so no. Fattening food is A-OK! These nachos sound AMAZING! Cheesy delicious...the way nachos should be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing better than potatoes, bacon, cheese, green onions and jalepenos! Sounds like the perfect pub food to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum. These look really good. I am with you with adding the corned beef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about fattening food while exercising is smart. You're pre-burning the calories. These look decidedly decadent and would go down great with a tall cold one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks heavenly - and fun. Cheese and potatoes sing Ireland and just make me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. Greetings. This post is really good and blog is really interesting. It gives good details.

    Potted Plants

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, I could eat a huge plate of these myself! I like these better than the regular type nachos. I'd love some sour cream on these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Arlene-preburning calories!

    I think about eating chocolate while working out. Never fails. That's where my mind wanders. I call it motivation.

    Considering how much I love potatoes...especially potatoes w/ cheese, bacon, and green onion, I think this looks better than traditional nachos. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really fun recipe. I've bookmarked it and plan to test it several times before next St. Patrick's Day :-). I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, I was out all day yesterday with my daughter while my husband stayed with our boys. When I came home he told me that he had found a recipe on some "Kim ladies blog" and he's been drooling over it all day. Well, it was your blog and your nachos and I agree, they look amazing! This is definitely getting bookmarked :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...so creative..this is perfect to serve when my son brings his friends home after a game...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That really is a clever idea...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol! i can't even tell you how many times we went from the gym straight to burger king!

    this looks awesome! i love the concept of irish nachos, and what a fun place to go to lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, Hello plate of yumminess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea, and thanks to the Irish, to use potatoes instead of tortilla chips! I'd prefer these! Hope you had a fun St. Patrick's Day. I worked and put up with college students itching to go out and party! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm... These look like a perfect treat anytime--love the cross between loaded potatoes and nachos--very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny, I was thinking while I read, this would be good with some of my leftover pastrami chopped up and then you mentioned corned beef.

    Nice post, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like serious fiesta food with a distinct Irish twist! I love potatoes with bacon, cheddar cheese and extra fixin's!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting combination! I would leave the bacon out in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea! My kids and I are crazy for nachos. I'd love to try this out on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want these. Right now. And a beer. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look absolutely wonderful, I am going to have to try them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.