Tuesday, March 1, 2011

French Fridays with Dorie February Roundup

 There were four recipes for FFwD this month: Basque Potato Tortilla, Pancetta Green Beans, Orange-Almond Tart, and Short Ribs in Red Wine and Port.  I ended up making three out of four.  I just couldn't bring myself to make the short ribs.  I've braised way too much meat this winter and I just didn't have it in me.

My hands down favorite of the bunch was Dorie's Orange-Almond Tart.  I have to say that I was really skeptical about this recipe.  It just seemed strange to bake oranges and serve them in a tart. I'm not sure why I felt this way, but I did.  I shouldn't have worried though because this tart was insanely delicious.  We devoured it.  The crust is very much like a shortbread cookie and the almond cream filling ....wow is that stuff good.  When the almond cream bakes in the oven it forms a thick crackly surface but remains rather gooey underneath.  The thick cookie-like crust along with the delicious almond cream and the sweet pop of the oranges make this an incredibly pleasant dessert.  I'd love to try several variations on this recipe from using cherries, to figs, or even pears.  I don't really think you could go wrong.  
 Taking second place in the roundup are these Pancetta Green Beans.  I ended up using bacon in place of pancetta, but we still loved these green beans that were tossed in bacon fat, butter, and slices of bacon.  A delicious side dish that was requested again.
This Basque Potato Tortilla was simple and classic.  A Spanish version of a frittata with eggs, diced potatoes and a sprinkling of Pimenton.  We enjoyed it, but I wouldn't necessarily make it again. 

14 comments:

  1. All the dishes look amazing even though I must say I'm leaning toward the Basque tortilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very ambitious and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great month of food! I am definitely going to have to try that tart...almond cream totally sounds like something I'd salivate over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy that you are testing these recipes for us. I always make notes in my Dorie book. I think you can't go wrong with green beans no matter what you do as long as you don't overcook them.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make the tart again too! While mine didn't turn out as I had hoped, it was still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they all look so good! french food is one that i'm probably the least familiar with, but it looks like that needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great roundup Kim! The beans look fantastic and are already on my "must-make" list, but you have now peaked my interest with the tart. It sounds insanely good and I will have to check out the recipe in the book :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks gorgeous...especially that yummy tart! I love the vibrant color of the green beans too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like three great dishes. Love all that bacon on the beans and your tart is so pretty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! They all look great.
    We loved that orange tart too - and felt the same way about the Basque tortilla (kinda.. bland)But that's why man invented hot sauce! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, I left a comment here a few days ago and my computer crashed so I came back to check on it. I may be repeating myself if the comment eventually comes through, so please forgive. I just wanted to say how I cannot get over how you manage your family and all of the food challenges that you meet each and every week . . . and with incredible success too! I am so impressed, especially since you also have the responsibilities of a family! Hope you're having a great March day! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim - you always inspire me to return to the book. All look sublime. I cannot even pick and choose - they just will all need to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great round up Kim. I skipped the green beans because I have made them before, but your picture is so fabulous, I wish I had a plate of them now.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.