Monday, February 8, 2010

Kielbasa Skillet Dinner, Jalapeno Popper Dip, and Sloppy Joes

I'm a little behind on posting lately, so I'm going to throw three things at you today! The first recipe is a new favorite of mine and is called Cheesy Kielbasa Skillet Dinner. If you like kielbasa, then you will love this quick, easy and economical meal. I have made it twice in two weeks and have plans to make it again. I adapted this recipe from RecipeZaar, making a couple of changes along the way.

The recipe calls for four main ingredients, that's it. The first ingredient is one pound of kielbasa, sliced. The second ingredient is potatoes (recipe calls for 5, I use two large russets). The third and fourth ingredients are one minced onion and a cup of green pepper. My husband doesn't really care for green pepper, so I sub in some diced jalapeno peppers which really spices things up a bit.
The next step is to saute all four ingredients in a large skillet. I use olive oil, but you could use any kind of oil here. Here is where I made another change. It is really hard to saute all four ingredients at the same time and develop any kind of color. If you decide to saute everything at once, then you will basically be steaming the food instead of sauteing. End result is okay, but not the best it could be. I had better results sauteing the food in batches and then adding it all back into the pan.
After you get the desired color on your potatoes and kielbasa, add in 1-1/2 cups water (could probably use chicken stock), sprinkle in some seasonings (I used Italian seasoning to taste) and simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Once the potatoes are cooked through, sprinkle on about 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese (recipe calls for American) and place the lid back on to melt the cheese.
It may sound kind of strange and not look that great, but it is extremely comforting, delicious and crave inducing! I didn't have high expectations for this one, but it really blew me out of the water. It is one of my favorite meals (for the time being, of course). You can make this whole meal for around $5-6 dollars, which I also love.

The second recipe I am sharing today is Jalapeno Popper Dip, which has been extremely popular with the Superbowl this past weekend. (Congrats to the Saints! I'm so happy they won.) This dip is so good that it disappeared within one day! It is a creamy delicious dip made with cream cheese, mayo, diced green chiles, diced jalapeno peppers, parmesan cheese, shredded Mexican cheese and some panko breadcrumbs. You can find the recipe here at Noble Pig's site. Be prepared to wear elastic pants if you make this dip, because you will want to eat all of it on your own!
Creamy, spicy, sinfully delicious. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, bread, veggies....it's all good!

And finally, the Sloppy Joe.

Chances are, if you grew up in the 80's and were invited to a birthday party, or any other social gathering, a Sloppy Joe was on the menu! Does anyone else remember the days of eating Sloppy Joes served out of a crockpot? It was a retro favorite and I can definitely see why now. Sloppy Joes are easy, economical and serve a crowd.

With a special fondness for the Sloppy Joe, I made them last night for the Superbowl. The recipe I chose had received some awesome ratings, a 5 star rating with 500 reviewers, so I went with it. Let me just say that it was not my favorite. I wanted to share this information with you in case you ever thought about trying it. You can find the recipe HERE.

The basis of the Sloppy Joe recipe was 1 pound of ground beef, 8 oz. tomato sauce, ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar. Something was just not right about that mixture. I tried adding some more mustard powder, I also tried some more red pepper flakes, a little more sugar. It just never came around to being very good. I wouldn't recommend it at all and it definitely wasn't the Sloppy Joe from my childhood.

Oh well, two out of three ain't bad!

Happy Cooking:D

24 comments:

  1. Can you believe. I have never. Had Kielbasa?!?!? (Runs in a corner and hides in shame.) I really want to try it, especially covered in that cheesy goodness.

    Recipezaar recipes are usually pretty hit or miss. I'm sorry those sloppy joes didn't turn out! I really like Rachel Ray's recipe for buffalo sloppy joes. Then again, I just really like buffalo sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, i'm loving all of them, but i'm sorry about the joe's! i still to this day have yet to make a good sloppy joe recipe.

    i'm so in love with that dip. i think i have a real weakness for dips, i pretty much ate my body weight in dip over the weekend!

    i can't wait to try that kielbasa dish, my family would go nuts for it! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that kielbasa skillet dish doesn't look great...because that first picture had me drooling! :) Yum yum! Jalapeno popper dip is also very YUM. Since I hate messy food, I don't eat sloppy joes...but the picture sure looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made that popper dip before - but stopped myself this year so I wouldn't be tempted to eat it all!

    And yes, I'm so happy the Saints won. Alexander, however, is considering burning his Peyton Manning jersey.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, all of these dishes sounds terrific. I especially like the dip. It has just the right kick.

    Many thanks for the wonderful variety of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemme be honest...i actually know nothing about sloppy joes and kielbasa and am sorry it didn work for u though it does look pretty good to me...and a learning exp too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, everything looks so yummie, would love to try them all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like kielbasa and lately have been used the low fat version. Your recipes are comfort food at its best.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that cheesy sausage sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I wish I'd had some of that popper dip for the Super Bowl yesterday! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jalapeno is seriously one of my favorite ingredients. I wish I could put it in everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just talking about kielbasa yesterday and how my Grandpa loved it. What a delicious comfort dish that one is! And the dip is almost sinful. Sorry you didn't like the sloppy joes so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will take all three recipes! Your sloppy joe stopped me right in my tracks. I have not had a good sloppy joe in over 25 years. We ate them as kids, never ate one as adult. That may need to be changed.

    A great triple post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, I love the cheesiness of that kielbasa dish! And I've made that dip before, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That kielbasa dish looks out of this world! This all looks right up our alley!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This will b e a fun new way to have kielbasa. Kielbasa is one of my standard dinners when we are rushed. The kids learned to make their own kielbasa dinner early on - so grand to have a new recipe. I so remember Sloppy Joe's.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. That dip sounds wonderful!All the dishes look delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks super tasty and bad(ass) for you! That's a hearty meal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hoy jalapeno! Lots of yumminess..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, man, does that skillet dinner look wonderful. And the dip. YUM! Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm definitely going to try the kielbasa skillet and that dip! Both would be crowd pleasers in my house. Sorry the sloppy joes were a bust. But like you said, 2 out of 3 isn't bad (that's about what I average).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darn and the sloppy joe was the one that I was looking forward too. But the jalapeno dip and kielbasa skillet are both amazing looking! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like Kielbasa and we had it often when I was growing up. My Mom always called it "depression food". I especially like it simmered in apple juice with yellow onion and sweet peppers served over couscous...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great bunch of dishes! That jalapeno popper dip looks amazing, I can't wait to try it!

    I had to smile when you mentioned growing up in the 80s and sloppy joes, even though I didn't eat them, I do remember them everywhere. They are also one of my husbands favorite foods (probably for some nostalgic reason, now that you mention it) so I make them all the time for him, with a recipe that took me forever to perfect to his tastes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.