Sunday, June 25, 2023

Summer of Salads #5: Smoky Halloumi and Couscous Salad

 

Sometimes it's all about the cheese. Burrata cheese. Feta cheese. Gruyere cheese. Halloumi cheese. They are all my favorites. A salad with any of those cheeses...well, it's just an excuse to eat more cheese!

This salad was originally written to be served with quinoa, which I'm sure is just fine. However, I've had a similar salad with fried halloumi before and it was served atop veggies and pearled couscous so I've subbed pearled couscous here. I'm sure either would be delicious.

You could go wild with veggies in this salad, but Donna Hay calls for simplicity with baby spinach and tomatoes. I've had a salad like this before that was loaded down with veggies: sliced red onion, sliced peppers, zucchini, baby spinach, tomatoes, etc. The sky is the limit! Make it your own, but MAKE THIS SALAD!

Here's the thing...we inhaled this! This salad is hands down one of my favorite things to eat! Something about all the textures here are just addictive. The squidgy, squeaky fried cheese with the little balls of pearled couscous that pop in your mouth. The sweet tomatoes and the leafy greens. That smoky paprika dressing that has a zing with all the lemon. It is so insanely delicious! Can't recommend it enough!

Smoky Halloumi and Couscous Salad

Adapted from Donna Hay Website

Serves 4

 For The Salad

1 cup cooked pearled couscous*

1-1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped

1 cup baby spinach leaves

1 package Haloumi, sliced

6 sprigs thyme, finely shredded

zest of 1 lemon

1 tablespoon olive oil

Smoked Paprika Dressing

1/4 cup lemon juice

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

2 tablespoons olive oil
 
1 tablespoon honey
 
Note: Donna Hay's recipe is written as a Smoky Halloumi and Quinoa Salad. I prefer pearled couscous and I've had a similar version before with couscous so I went with that. If you'd rather make this with the quinoa, follow the link above to her complete recipe.

Cook the couscous to package directions. You will need 1 cup of cooked pearled couscous. 

To make the dressing, place the lemon juice, paprika, oil and honey in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the tomato, spinach and couscous and toss to combine. Set aside.

Place the halloumi, thyme, lemon zest and oil in a bowl and toss to coat. Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the haloumi and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes or until golden. 

To arrange: Spoon the couscous salad down into a bowl. Top with the fried halloumi. 

Summer Salads @ I Heart Cooking Clubs


2 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely salad with cheese I'll be happy to eat everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in for anything with halloumi cheese!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.