Sunday, June 11, 2023

Summer of Salads #3: Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad

 

Cruising right along with the third salad of the summer is this refreshing Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad from Ina Garten. I've been wanting to try my hand at the watermelon and feta combination for years and I am definitely pulling up late to the game.

This salad is simple enough. Baby arugula is mixed with mint (and if your herb garden is anything like mine - you have mint in spades), then you toss in cubes of watermelon and feta and drizzle a citrus shallot vinaigrette over top. It's easy peasy and it certainly is pretty!

 

This salad has very high ratings on the Food Network and everyone loves the mix of sweet from the watermelon with the salty tang of the feta cheese. They say it pairs very well with the peppery arugula, the added mint, and the citrusy vinaigrette. 

I thought the salad was good and I definitely enjoyed it, but I am not completely sold on the combination of watermelon and feta cheese and I don't understand how this combination has the following that it does. For example, this recipe is rated five stars on the Food Network site and if I were rating I'd give it a solid three stars. Again, it's good and I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't give it a five star rating.

However, if the combination of watermelon and feta are your thing, then I'm guessing you'd love this recipe!  

Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad

Recipe adapted from Food Network

by Ina Garten

Serves 4-6

Dressing

1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 

1/4 cup minced shallots 

1 tablespoon honey

1/2 cup good olive oil

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Salad

6 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry

2 cups watermelon cut into 1-inch cubes

12 ounces feta cheese, 1/2" diced

1 cup (4 ounces) whole fresh mint leaves, julienned

Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. If not using within an hour, store the vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator.

Place the arugula, watermelon, feta, and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well. Taste for seasonings and serve immediately. 




2 comments:

  1. Lovely! This is my husband favorite salad, one that he whips up anytime he feels like having a salad. Perfect also when you get the sweet watermelon in the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually prefer a simpler version with just watermelon and big slabs of feta. Maybe the crumbled version doesn't give as much of the sweet/salty contrast?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.