Sunday, June 2, 2019

Ina Garten's Confetti Corn

When I think of summer potlucks I always think of two things: watermelon and corn. Chances are, if you invite me to any summer get together, I'm bringing one of the two.

Today, I'm all about corn.  Now, summer corn isn't ready yet, but some good quality frozen corn will work for a dish like this.This is a little different from the fried corn my mom made and the one I make all the time. The one that I make is very basic. A few diced jalapenos (depending on who I'm serving and how much heat they can handle), some butter, and some corn. That's my classic recipe and I'm sticking with it!

However, Ina Garten's Confetti Corn is a little more colorful, and it doesn't pack the heat of my version with the jalapenos, so I feel this version would appeal to the masses a little more. Ina's version is flavored with red onion, bell pepper, and your choice of chives or basil. I love the combination of corn and basil, but I had chives on hand, so I stuck with chives.

I really liked Ina's version and I'm happy I gave it a try.  I think it would be really nice with a little bit of feta cheese thrown in (I also really like corn with feta). I also think it could use a little jalapeno, but that's a personal choice.  Either way, this is a fabulous summertime side dish and you can't go wrong!



Confetti Corn
Recipe courtesy of Barefoot Contessa website
by Ina Garten
Serves 4-6

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 small bell pepper, 1/2" diced
2 tablespoons butter
5 ears of yellow or white corn (or 2 pkgs frozen organic)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped basil or chives or parsley

Heat oil over medium heat in a large saute pan.  Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft.  Stir in the bell pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.

Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt.  Over medium heat, add the corn, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the corn just loses its starchiness.  Season to taste, gently stir in the basil or other green herbs and serve hot.


2 comments:

  1. This dish speaks to the summer season to a T. A bit of color adds to the festivity. What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I bet this would be great on some crostini with cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.