Sunday, March 10, 2019

Ruth Reichl's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


On Fridays at school, we order lunch from a catering service. I always order the same sandwich, drink, and chips, BUT I ALWAYS have a hard time trying to decide whether I want a chocolate chip cookie or an oatmeal raisin cookie. I love them both equally! Or, do I?

As much as I love chocolate, I almost always opt for the oatmeal raisin cookie. I love the chewiness of the oats and the raisins so much, maybe even more than I love chocolate, and that is saying something!

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs we're cooking with food that starts with R, for Ruth Reichl. The very first thing I thought of...Oatmeal Raisin Cookies!

This recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies is a little different than other recipes I've tried. These cookies are definitely not as sweet as a classic oatmeal raisin cookie, but they are good. They reminded us more of a granola bar or a healthyish breakfast cookie. We really liked them alot, and I would make them again, but this wouldn't be my go-to oatmeal raisin cookie recipe..



Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook
by Ruth Reichl
Makes about 2 dozen

1-3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) butter, softened
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins

Put racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375F. Butter two large baking sheets. 

Stir together oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Beat together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add oat mixture and beat until just combined. Mix in raisins.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough about 2 inches apart onto buttered baking sheets and flatten mounds slightly with moistened fingers. Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until golden, about 12 minutes total. Transfer cookies to racks to cool. 

6 comments:

  1. Kim, have you tried Smitten Kitchen's oatmeal raisin cookies? They are truly the best! The perfect classic chewy oatmeal raisin cookie. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie - No. I haven't tried them, but I will definitely give them a try!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. I haven't made oatmeal cookies for a long time. But I understand the enjoyment of having a granola bar or a healthyish breakfast cookie in the morning. So much appeal in the crunch and chew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not the biggest raisin fan, but make these with dried cranberries and I am SO there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've already planned ahead for next week's post and am making the most delicious oatmeal cookies I have ever had (from the big yellow cookbook). You just can't beat a good oatmeal cookie. (They always remind me of my grandmother.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.