Sunday, April 30, 2017

Baked Gruyere and Sausage Omelet


Today I'm bringing you a hearty and satisfying baked omelet with some of my very favorite ingredients: Gruyere, eggs, and sausage! I first discovered real cave-aged Gruyere cheese while I was cooking the recipes of Jacques Pepin and let me just tell you....it was love at first bite! The nutty robust flavor combined with the ooey-gooey melt factor... there is no other cheese quite like it!

Nowadays, I am never without a wedge of Gruyere. It comes in handy for making one incredible French Onion Soup, is delicious grated over pasta, and is a star ingredient in many egg dishes, such as this recipe. 

I happened to have all the ingredients on hand to make this flavor-filled baked omelet, although I will say that you could just as easily cater this dish to whatever you have on hand, just keeping the ratios in tact.  Of course I highly recommend using a good Gruyere no matter what, but this is a perfect recipe to make your own and is well-suited for entertaining. We enjoyed this straight out of the oven for breakfast and it was also just as good leftover the next day. A staple recipe for any cook to keep in their arsenal!


Baked Gruyere and Sausage Omelet
Adapted from Food Network
Recipe by Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 4-6

Butter, for greasing baking dish
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 pound mild sausage, casings removed
8 large eggs
1/3 cup milk (whole preferably)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 red bell pepper, diced
1-1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup plus a few tablespoons freshly chopped parsley for garnish



Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, to taste, until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the red bell pepper, 1 cup of Gruyere cheese and 1/4 cup of parsley. Stir in the onion mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Cut the baked omelet into wedges and sprinkle with remaining parsley before serving.

Cook's Note: To make individual servings, divide the batter between 4 buttered 8-ounce ramekins. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.





4 comments:

  1. I like your recommendation on gruyere for dishes like this. Certainly a staple recipe. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks mouth watering....I would eat so much of this omelet, we'd need two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree about gruyere. It's such a perfect cheese staple! Great in salads, in mac and cheese, AND in omelets like this! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.