Sunday, May 5, 2024

Mark Bittman's Roasted and Buttered Pecans

 The other day on Instagram, I watched someone shop their kitchen and create some really amazing dishes. So, I went through my pantry, fridge, and freezer and wrote down lists of things to make. I made some biscuit mixes I'd been saving, I made a Cheeseburger Macaroni, and I made a Jambalaya. Then I found a perfectly new bag of pecan halves, so I made these Roasted and Buttered Pecans.

Roasted and Buttered Pecans are as simple as can be, but they are a total treat that everyone loves. You can eat them as is, or add them to your morning oatmeal and/or a salad. 

Bittman says to roast the nuts at 450F for about 10 minutes, shaking and rotating the nuts every few minutes. I found my pecan halves only needed about 4 minutes. The roasting time will depend on the type of nuts you roast, so just watch them closely.

                                                               Roasted Buttered Pecans

Adapted from How To Cook Everything 

by Mark Bittman

Serves 4-6

2 cups (about 1 pound) unsalted nuts

1 tablespoon peanut oil or melted butter

salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 450F. Toss the nuts in a bowl with the oil or butter, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast, shaking occasionally, until lightly browned, checking every few minutes as nuts can burn quickly. Cool before serving, they will crisp as they cool. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.