Sunday, April 23, 2023

Ina's Blueberry Ricotta Breakfast Cake {A MUST MAKE}!!

I joined a facebook group called The Barefoot Contessa Fan Page where members make and share all sorts of Ina Garten recipes. Now, we all know that everything Ina makes is foolproof and delicious, but every once in awhile, specific recipes will cycle and before you know it EVERYONE is making them and going on and on about how Extra Wonderful they are!

It happened with Ina's Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mustard Sauce. It happened with Ina's Rigatoni with Sausage and Fennel. And, recently, the group has literally blown up over Ina's Blueberry and Ricotta Breakfast Cake from her latest cookbook, Go-To Dinners

I bet I've seen Ina's Blueberry Ricotta Breakfast Cake shared hundreds of times to the point where people have asked for everyone to quit sharing it! I have been wanting to make it for months and you know what.... IT IS WORTH ALL THE HYPE!

This Blueberry Ricotta Breakfast Cake is TOTAL PERFECTION! I am declaring it THE DISH TO MAKE FOR ALL YOUR SPRING BRUNCHES AND POTLUCKS! 

I think it is a top tier Ina Garten recipe and one to stick in your back pocket. The cake is made a little differently than most, with both ricotta and sour cream and only about 1-1/4 cup flour. It is extremely light, tender, and moist with the perfect ratio of blueberry and lemon flavor. The inside of the cake has the consistency of a cloud while the edges get all golden brown and crackly. The balance of flavors and textures is just right! I don't always like my desserts warm, but this cake is total perfection warm from the oven and I recommend serving is warm.

Please do yourself a favor and make this cake this season! It is most definitely going to be one of my top recipes of the year and I can tell you that it will be THE RECIPE that I think of when I'm asked to bring a dish somewhere.

COMPLETE AND TOTAL PERFECTION! 

 

Blueberry Ricotta Breakfast Cake

Adapted from Go-To Dinners

by Ina Garten

Serves 8-10

10 tablespoons (1-1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature

1 cup whole-milk ricotta

2 tablespoons sour cream

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1-1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

salt

2 cups fresh blueberries (12 ounces), divided

sifted confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Note: I don't have a 9" pan or a springform pan, so I baked mine in a 10" stone pan and it was just fine! Some people have made this cake the day ahead and served it the next day. I'm sure it is great that way, but I would highly recommend serving it the day of, fresh from the oven with about 30-60 minutes to cool .

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9" round springform pan, shaking out any excess flour. 

Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the ricotta, sour cream, vanilla, and lemon zest and mix well. (The batter will look curdled.)

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter, mixing just until incorporated. With the rubber spatula, fold two thirds of the blueberries into the batter. Transfer the batter to the prepared springform pan and smooth the top. Scatter the remaining blueberries on the cake, pressing them lightly into the surface.

Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan and lightly dust the top with the confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.



2 comments:

  1. I can deal with a light and total-perfection cake. This is a cake I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "breakfast cake"'. The fact that it's an Ina recipe means it must be more than perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.