Sunday, July 24, 2022

Ina's Milk Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream

 

The first time I thumbed through Ina Garten's copy of Modern Comfort Food, this recipe for Milk Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream screamed at me! It was just begging to be made. 

I couldn't quit put my hand on why this ice cream stuck out like it did. Then I showed it to my daughter and right away she said, "You never see chocolate ice cream with Oreos. It's always the classic Cookies 'N Cream with the vanilla base." She hit the nail on the head.

Not to mention, I don't want small little Oreo crumbles in my ice cream. I'm looking for the big chunks of Oreo, so much better if I make it myself!

Let me tell you...this ice cream is insanely delicious! It does not disappoint. The milk chocolate base has a few teaspoons of Brandy so that it stays soft and creamy and I just love the big chunks of Oreos running throughout. I can see this being one of our all-time favorite ice cream recipes!

Milk Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream

Adapted from Modern Comfort Food

by Ina Garten

Makes 1 quart

1-1/2 cups heavy cream

8 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 teaspoons Cognac or Brandy

1-1/2 cups whole milk

3/4 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

4 extra-large egg yolks

1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

2 cups Oreo cookies, rough chopped (15 cookies)

Place the cream and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. Heat just until the chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Off the heat, whisk in the cocoa powder, vanilla, and Cognac or Brandy, and set aside.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk, sugar, and salt until hot but not simmering. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch. Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, then pour it back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes, stirring almost constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens like heavy cream (DON'T ALLOW IT TO BOIL!). Cook for 30 seconds, scraping the bottom of the pan with the spoon. The mixture should coat the spoon and if you run your finger down the back of the spoon, it will leave a clear trail.

Immediately, pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Cover and chill completely in the fridge or over a bowl of ice water. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Mix in the Oreos in the last few minutes. Transfer to a container or loaf pan, cover, and freeze. Soften slightly, scoop, and serve frozen. 

 






Ice Cream Social @ IHCC

3 comments:

  1. Don't you love an Ina recipe? You know she's tested it as many times as needed to get consistent results. This looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius!! My freezer is full of frozen breastmilk right now (TMI?) so I've been disallowed from making any ice cream...but might have to move some to my parents' or in-laws' freezers just to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not only a kid friendly ice cream, Oreo would put a smile on my face anytime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.