Sunday, May 29, 2022

Apricot and Raspberry Crisp

 

On a recent trip to the grocery store I went a little fruit crazy. I usually only buy one or two types of fruit, but this time I went kinda nuts: bananas, apples, pineapple, cantaloupe, cherries, raspberries, and several pounds of the cutest little apricots. 

Those apricots totally suckered me in because I don't think I've ever seen them so small and so cute before! I had to have them. When I got home I realized that I had 36 apricots and there was no way I was going to eat all that fruit in a week.

So, I began looking for apricot recipes and wouldn't you know it, they were really few and far between. I found a few apricot tarts, but most apricot recipes consist of apricot jelly and preserves. No, thanks!

I finally decided apricots were a lot like peaches, so I set my sights on Ina's Peach and Raspberry Crisp! I had originally planned to pair the apricots with raspberries anyway, so this recipe seemed meant to be. 

I made Ina's recipe as written, subbing the apricots instead of the peaches and adding a splash of almond extract (because it goes so well with stone fruit).

The recipe turned out perfectly! The apricots and raspberries combined to make a sweet and tart filling with a hint of almond flavor and there was a good amount of crumble on top, which I love. I love this crumble with and without vanilla ice cream and I would definitely make it again!


Apricot and Raspberry Crisp

Adapted from Food Network

by Ina Garten

Serves 6-8

2-3 pounds apricots, skin on, halved if small, quartered if large

1 orange or 1 lemon, zested

1-1/4 cups granulated sugar

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1/2 teaspoon almond extract*

1-1/2 cups plus 2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 pint raspberries

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup oatmeal

1/2 pound cold butter, diced

Note: This recipe was originally written to be a peach and raspberry crisp. I chose to sub apricots. I also chose to add about 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract because I love the almond flavor with stone fruits. 

Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter inside of a 10 by 15 by 2-1/2 inch oval baking dish or just use any baking dish that fits the fruit mixture.

If using apricots leave the skins on. Cut the apricots in half if they're small and into quarters if they're larger. Add them a medium mixing bowl. Add the orange or lemon zest, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of flour. Toss well. Gently mix in the raspberries. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid, add 1 more tablespoon of flour. Pour the apricots and berries into the baking dish and gently smooth the top.

Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, and the cold, diced butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is pea-sized and the mixture is crumbly. (I mixed the crumble mixture with my hands). Sprinkle the crumble on top of the apricots and raspberries.

Bake for 1 hour, until the top is browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator and reheat in a preheated 350F oven for 20-30 minutes, until warm. 









Picnic Party @ IHCC!

2 comments:

  1. My default winter dessert is the apple crisp. Seeing your apricot crisp, I can imagine a similar crisp using summer stone fruits. These apricots do look adorable. They are perfect with the crisp and a serving of ice cream, just the way you plate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apricots are fun! Great idea to substitute one stone fruit for another. Ina's Crisp is a winner as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.