Sunday, November 14, 2021

Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup

 

I usually have a tendency to chose indulgent and decadent recipes. For some reason, when I visit the Half-Baked Harvest site, I chose every single recipe designated as lighter and/or healthier. Maybe I've turned over a new leaf, but they are just the ones that look so dang good!

I've been wanting to make Tieghan's Healthier Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup for ages. A creamy soup with cheesy tortellini that is loaded with veggies and still somewhat healthy? Yes, please! It just ticks all the boxes for me!One thing I've noticed about Tieghan's recipes is that she goes total ham with the spices and flavorings. This is rather unlike every other cookbook out there because a lot of chefs go light on seasonings, causing me to doctor up recipes myself. I have not had to do this with any of Tieghan's recipes.

For example: Fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon of dried basil, 1 tablespoon of dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. I had about 1/4 cup of herbs and spices! This is what cooking should be. Add to that a cast of onions, carrots, celery, garlic, kale, tomato paste, broth, wine, a splash of cream, fresh herbs, tortellini, and Parmesan and you have one amazing soup! This is my FAVORITE Half-Baked Harvest recipe yet and will most likely be one of my favorite recipes of the year! If you're in need of comfort or warming up, you seriously need to make this! 

P.S. I have wanted a pumpkin casserole dish like the one in the picture for ages, but I didn't want to pay high dollar for one. I found this one at Aldi's for $14.99! If you want one, run and get one. It is very nice quality!


Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup

Adapted from Half-Baked Harvest

by Tieghan Gerard

Serves 4-6

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

2-4 cloves garlic, minced or grated

2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried)

1 tablespoon dried basil

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1-2 teaspoons fennel seeds, to your taste

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes

salt and pepper, to your taste

2 tablespoons tomato paste

6 carrots, chopped

4 celery stalks, chopped

1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot

6 cups vegetable or chicken broth

4-6 cups roughly chopped kale

1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

1 pound fresh cheese tortellini

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook 5 minutes, until golden. Add the carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, basil, oregano, fennel, paprika, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes, until very fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the wine, broth, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until the carrots are tender.

About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the kale, cream, Parmesan, and the tortellini.

Serve the soup topped with additional Parmesan and fresh oregano, if desired.

*Instructions for cooking this soup in a slow cooker or instant pot are on the Half-Baked Harvest blog. 

*Sharing @IHCC for Warming Soups and Stews Week!

*Sharing @Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sundays!

4 comments:

  1. I love tortellini soups and this one does look amazing. When I get my cooking mojo back I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing it this week with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkin casserole dish is so cool! This is certainly a soup for me to add to my list of upcoming recipes. I'm glad she lays on the spices and herbs too because you're right, you need flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1/4 cup of herbs and spices for one pound of pasta sure sounds delectable. It's soup season, the right recipe for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one that's been on my radar to make for a while!! Looks so comforting and I love that it's a little on the healthier side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.