Sunday, December 22, 2019

Tessa's Omeleta {American-Style}


Early this year I tried Tessa's Omeleta Horiatiki with potato, feta, and oregano. Needless to say, this omeleta has some of my all-time favorite ingredients: egg, potato, and feta. I instantly fell in love. Tessa's recipe went right to my favorites list for the year.

This time of year is full of reflection and I feel a great amount of comfort & joy in recipes that are loved so well they become part of my regular rotation.

This time of year is also as busy as can be and I find a great amount of comfort & joy in recipes that are easy to make, yet delicious.

This time of year is also the time I go COMPLETELY out of my way to stay out of the store. So, it is with the GREATEST amount of comfort & joy that some version of this recipe can be made with ingredients found at home.

This time of year is also for Christmas vacation, sleeping in, and enjoying LOTS of leisurely breakfasts, my all-time favorite meal.

So, on day 2 of my 16-day Christmas vacation, I raided the fridge and came up with this Christmasy version of Tessa's Omeleta, keeping the potato crust (because that is a must) and adding some steamed broccoli for the green, some chopped cooked bacon for the red, and some good ol' American cheddar cheese to bring it all together.

Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Omeleta
Adapted from Food From Many Greek Kitchens
by Tessa Kiros
Serves 4

1/8 cup olive oil
1 small potato, peeled, cut into 1/8 inches rounds
3 eggs, scrambled
steamed chopped broccoli
couple pieces chopped cooked bacon
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and black pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste

Note: This recipe is halved to make a personal pan sized frittata.

Heat the oil in a small 6" or 8" inch nonstick skillet. Add the potato rounds and fry gently on both sides until golden (but not too crisp) and completely cooked through. Salt and pepper lightly. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if using. 

If you have a broiler, preheat it now. Pour the eggs into the skillet, shuffling gently so that they can leak down and around the potatoes. Add the broccoli, bacon, and cheese and cover with a lid until the eggs are set throughout but still runny on top. Keep an eye on the heat to ensure that the bottom doesn't burn but forms a golden crust. Take the lid off and place the skillet 4 inchesor so under the broiler. When the omeleta is no longer runny, remove from the heat and leave it with the lid on for a couple minutes. Loosen the edges and slide it out of the skillet onto a serving plate. Serve hot, with a grind of black pepper, to taste.













2 comments:

  1. This omeleta is the perfect embodiment of the comfort and joy that we could never get enough of. Enjoy the rest of your vacation! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're having a super relaxing vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.