Friday, October 2, 2009

Grilled Brie and Tomato on Crusty Bread - Recipe #42 Stirring the Pot

While cooking my way through Stirring the Pot, there have been a couple recipes that I have underestimated. This was one of them. I kept thinking that it would be alright, but nothing earth-shattering. Wrong! These little open-faced sandwiches are delicious. The Brie cheese totally puts this over the top!

Posting for Tyler Florence Fridays is due by noon on Fridays and as of this morning I had not made these yet. So, after I took my daughter to school, I returned home and got started. I can't say I was really craving Grilled Brie and Tomato on Crusty Bread for breakfast, but welcome to the world of a food blogger, right? I took these out of the oven and snapped the pictures. They sat around for a little bit while I was on the phone. I tasted one and then I went back for the other one! I enjoyed the first two so much that I made two more :D Yes, you counted right. I happily scarfed down four of these baguette-style toasts this morning. That darn Brie cheese is addictive and so darn creamy - yum!!

I'm not going to post the recipe because it is pretty easy to see how this goes together. You can either grill or toast some bread. I chose a baguette I had in the freezer. After the bread is grilled on both sides, you top with pesto, tomato slices, and brie. Tyler throws his toasts back on the grill to melt the cheese, but I put mine under the broiler for a minute until the cheese got melty. Absolutely delicious, garlicky, cheesy, and zesty. A perfect way to start the day, enjoy in the middle of the day, or as a midnight snack!!

On another note, I am happy to say that I'm attending the IncrEDIBLE Food Show tomorrow in Lexington, KY. The celebrity guest is Bobby Flay and I couldn't be more excited!! While I enjoy Tyler's recipes, I enjoy looking at Bobby more :D I was a senior in high school when the Food Network first aired in 1992/1993. I have had a crush on Bobby since back then! I can't wait to see him in person doing a live cooking demo! I bought a special ticket for his cooking demo and have front row seats! Afterward, he will be autographing copies of his Mesa Grill cookbook. I am really hoping to meet him and get some pictures. I'm praying camera are allowed in to the arena.

The rest of the Food Show should be fun too. There will be an emphasis on Kentucky growers and farmers and all sorts of local food purveyors will be there. The local culinary school will be doing live cooking demonstrations. There is even a local cheesemaker doing a demonstration on cheesemaking! Can you tell I'm excited? I'll be posting about the show this weekend, so stay tuned! I wish I could take all my foodie friends with me!!

Don't forget to head on over to Tyler Florence Fridays to see what all the other folks made this week!!

16 comments:

  1. Kim, yours sure look prettier than the ones I made, but they are incredibly addictive, aren't they? I'm so envious of your trip tomorrow. While I don't love spicy food, I do enjoy Bobby, especially his "throwdowns." Enjoy your wonderful day and make sure you tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so simple, but absolutely delicious. Great recipe Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how fabulous, going to see Bobby Flay! I hope you will blog all about it. Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love brie cheese too, so these look delicious! Have fun at the food show...sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh wow. that looks good! tomatoes and cheese is such a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks totally tasty to me. In fact I wish I had some right now. With a bottle of wine, of course.
    Give Bobby a kiss for me.. what kind of kiss is up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combo, this sounds delicious!! BTW, I know what kind of kiss you can give bobby for me, and you know where to give it, dontcha sister... tell him I say hi willya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love brie and tomatoes. Looks delicious! Have fun at the Food Show. Bobby Flay? I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get pictures! That is cool news.I am going to have to check Stirring The Pot out of the library...you have been making great looking dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were a great recipe--excellent combo. Have fun at the food show, it sounds like it will be great. Exciting that you get to see Bobby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. holy cow, that looks so good. i have only had brie once, but i've never forgotten it!

    have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun at the show - and I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious. I love brie. I love bread. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bobby Flay! Wow sounds like a great time to me :-) Hope you'll be able to take pictures--have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could totally have that melted brie and tomato for breakfast! And I will definitely make this. I love easy scrumptious bites, Have fun with Bobby Flay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a perfectly good breakfast to me (as I sit here eating my bagel with melted cheese on it.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.