Friday, October 23, 2009

Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies Week #4: Brickle Cookies

It's week four of Christmas cookies, which means only eight more weeks until Christmas! Normally, it's too warm to start thinking about Christmas. This year it has already dipped below freezing, which is unheard of here in Kentucky. The cold weather has driven folks into the shops and caused some early Christmas shopping here in the Bluegrass.

I haven't done very much cooking or baking at all this week. I guess you could say that I fell down on the job. And, when it comes to these brickle cookies I was a total slacker! I don't even have a recipe to share.

I happened to be at Wal-mart (my least favorite store on the planet) and came across Nestle's bits o' brickle. They caught my attention and I bought a bag. I didn't have any plans for the bits o' brickle, I just thought they were cool. Fast forward a couple of days and now I need a cookie for the week. Since I'm such a gourmet, I decided to make the recipe on the back of the bag. Yes, I know. How very "original" of me! I believe the recipe was for "drop brickle cookies". The best part is that I threw the bag away and didn't keep the recipe to share! In the end, it might not really matter because I didn't like these cookies at all. I made about eight of them and then pitched the rest of the cookie dough. They turned out very crispy and neither me nor my family like crispy cookies. They weren't terrible, but they weren't worth the calories. On the other hand, if you happen to like crispy, buttery-flavored cookies, that hurt your teeth, then this might be the one for you!



Next week I'm hoping to make Chambord Crisps. While they are void of chocolate, they will have Chambord in them, so I'm hoping that they turn out yummy! Who can pass up a cookie with alcohol in it, especially at Christmas.

Head on over to see what these fellow cookie monsters baked up this week!
Megan of My Baking Adventures
Barbara of Barbara Bakes
April of Abby Sweets
Megan of Megan's Cookin
Denise of Keeper Worthy Recipes

13 comments:

  1. "that hurt your teeth" lol. don't you hate it when you put the work into something and they don't quite turn out. I've had that happen to me many a time. at least they look tasty. have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, these look great. Cookies with Chamobord in them? I am totally excited!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the cookies were not worth the calories! It sounds like a yummy cookie and sometimes recipes on the bag are great. I'm off to Google Chambord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bit of brickel huh? They do sound tasty an I can totally see myself doing the same thing. I bought mini peanut butter cups thinking I could always make a CC dough and add them instead of chips. You know, just in case I (need to)slack a week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry they turned out like that! Especially for the work you put into making them. The flavor did sound yummy. I like butter brickle ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you didn't like them! Sometimes you do need that simple recipe on the back of a package. I am looking forward to next weeks cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mwaa ha a haaa...why yes, I love cookies that hurt my teeth...LOL!! Too funny...the chambord ones I'm anticipating, though :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I have never heard of brickle before, what is it?
    Looking forward to the alcoholic cookies next week! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 8 weeks till Christmas?! Oh man, I need to get on the ball! I plan on starting my baking on December 1st and do my Cookie Journey from there till New Years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 8 weeks until Christmas, huh? Thanks for freaking me out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh ****, 8 weeks to Christmas?

    I hate it when a recipe flunks on me - it's so hard to pitch out the dough! I'll be back next week with 2 different cookie recipes, and I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great and look like they wouldn't hurt your teeth at all. But I believe you :) I can't believe there are 8 more weeks until Christmas. I haven't even started on my Christmas shopping yet..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sucks the cookies didn't turn out like you wanted :(. They still look good, though! I'm more of a chewy cookie fan myself, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.