Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cook Yourself Thin Cookbook Review: Mini Turkey Meatloaves with Roasted Root Veggies


In an effort to start eating lighter and healthier, I bought the new cookbook Cook Yourself Thin. I kept hearing good things about this book and it was only about fourteen dollars, so I decided to give it a shot. The book's recipes are prefaced by information on eating lighter, eating habits, calorie contents and other "dieting" information. This portion is good for someone who wants/needs to educate themselves on eating lighter. It is good at helping you uncover your eating habits, both good and bad.

The recipes are broken down into three categories: Breakfasts, Mains, and Sweets. There are many beautifully plated pictures in this book, but not of every recipe. I was impressed that the recipes actually included whole foods (whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and lean meats) in lieu of non-fat, no-fat, sugar-free nonsense. The only substitutions you will see in this book are for low-fat cheeses, which is perfectly fine with me.

I bookmarked over twenty-five recipes to try and decided to start with these mini turkey meatloaves with roasted veggies. My husband and I love meatloaf, so I doubled the recipe. I was lucky enough to have found ground turkey breast on sale for $1.99/lb, so it was also very economical. Let me go ahead and say that this recipe blew me away! It was so good, especially considering the calorie content. I would eat this meal any day of the week, whether or not I was watching the waistline. This is definitely a five-star recipe, especially if you love meat and potatoes.

Turkey Mini-Meatloaves with Roasted Root Veggies -adapted from Cook Yourself Thin
Serves 4, but can easily be doubled
Calories per serving- meatloaves - 227
Calories per serving - roasted root veggies - 121

For the meatloaf:
1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
5-ounce bag baby spinach leaves *don't omit - this is what keeps the turkey moist*
1-1/4 pounds ground turkey *I used ground turkey breast with awesome results*
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (omitted due to picky hubby)
Note: I added a couple cloves of sauteed garlic

For the glaze:
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce

For the roasted root veggies:
3 large carrots, cut on the bias
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut on the bias
1/4 cup asparagus (about 4 stalks) * I subbed out sugar snap peas (picky hubby again)*
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange oven racks to accommodate two dishes being cooked simultaneously. Grind the bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl, and pour milk over crumbs. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet, preferable nonstick, over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add spinach, and stir until just wilted about 30 seconds(This is where I added in my garlic and sauteed briefly). Transfer to bowl with soaked crumbs. Add the turkey, cheese, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Combine the mixture with your hands until well mixed; it will be quite wet. (It was quite wet, but turned out just fine).

Pack 1 cup of the mixture into a 1-cup dry measuring cup, invert the cup onto a rimmed baking sheet, gently shaking the cup to release the mixture. Gently pat the moundn to smooth its shape. Repeat with remaining mixture. Bake mini meatloaves until cooked through and golden, about 40 minutes
Note: If you are not opposed to foil, you may want to line your baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup. My baking sheets were very hard to clean after this recipe.

While the meatloaves are cooking, make the glaze: in a small bowl combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Brush over meatloaves as soon as complete.

To makes the roasted root vegetables: On a baking sheet, toss all the veggies in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Add to the oven along with the meatloaf and roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring midway through baking. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh herbs.

Notes/Results: I was extremely happy with this recipe. The only complaint I have about the book is that I wish it listed all the nutritional information for each recipe. Instead, it only lists the calorie contents. It would be nice to have protein and carb counts. At any rate, I highly recommend this recipe. The glaze for the meatloaf is zippy, tangy and slightly spicy and pairs great with the meatloaf and the veggies. I was a little worried about roasting sugar snap peas, but they turned out fine. This is very pretty on the plate and I felt great about eating it, especially since the whole meal was less than 400 calories. Since I doubled the recipe, I took some to my mom and she loved it. She was even more surprised to find it was so low in calories. I plated up the rest to have as leftovers and they were gobbled up in no time. Don't be afraid to use ground turkey breast instead of plain ground turkey, the end result was excellent and probably even lower in calories!! Can you tell I'm excited?? I can't wait to cook up the next recipe.

Stay tuned for more recipes from Cooking Yourself Thin. Next up will be Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (200 calories each) and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas (456 calories for 3 enchiladas)!!

24 comments:

  1. I love minis so the first appeal is the size. The second is the use of turkey which is much healthier. I like how it is flavored. Sounds like a winner to me. Next time, I buy chopped turkey, I want to try this.

    If you are looking for a healthy cooking group, why don't you try Craving Ellie in My Belly. Ellie Krieger has healthy and tasty recipes. I have made some winners, in that group. If you want info, send me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! I love mini sized anything, they are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - enchiladas! I love those.

    I've never made turkey meatloaf before, but it certainly sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a treasure of a cookbook to have. I'll have to see if they have it in the library! Yummy looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this is any indication of all the recipes, I will have to scout out the book. I love turkey meatloaf and this one seems packed with flavor. Will definitely be doing this and the vegetables this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for posting this, and the info on the book. i'm always looking for healthy recipes as i tend to continuously fall victim to the not-so-healthy ones! the meatloaf looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are totally cute!! i love turkey meatloaf! it always smells so good when it's in the oven!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look and sound delicious! And the calorie count is great. I did look at the book in Walmarts the other day, but didn't pick it up since I can't convert the calories to WW points without at least having the fat and fiber grams. Will certainly try a few of the recipes you post though since I can guesstimate the points. Where's that great photo of you on your sidebar?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering about the book. I'm always looking for healthy AND delicious recipes. I'm so glad that you posted a great, healthy looking recipe. I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw righty - that's what I'm talking about! Good tasting food yet healthy. Paula and Nigella will put the pounds on you...this looks like a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya know, I'm not a huge fan of loaves of meat, HOWEVER, my husband is, so..I make him mini meatloaves. I make a glaze too, but mine is a fatty version of yours. We have been married a year and I've put on 8 pounds! I think I'm gonna try your lighter version next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great! Its so awesome when something is tasty AND healthy (but its rare).

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! 25 bookmarked recipes, must be a great book. If this recipe is any indication, Id say it is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious--I love turkey meatloaf. I have seen the book but have not picked it up but I might need to look more closely at it if you tabbed that many recipes. For me too, it would be better to have more than just the calorie counts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These sound really tasty. I also love to know the picture to recipe ratio! Thanks for letting us know about this new book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a neat cookbook! I always like to rent cookbooks from the library before I buy em', but this one sounds like it was worth buyin!

    Btw, love your new blog picture :o)

    And thank you for your sweet words about my cat..I truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe looks fabulous! What is even more delightful is that your plate is completely full! I like this a lot! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the mini idea. The recipe sound delicious.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just bought this cookbook too! I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it looks delicious! I do wish they had nutritional facts, but overall, it's much healthier than I usually eat. Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried this last night for dinner and the Beau and I just loved it!! I love meatloaf but don't eat beef so this was just perfect! Love the addition of spinach and the roasted veggies were delicious! I'm definitely coming back to try other recipes from Cook Yourself Thin! =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you bought the book! I've just been making recipes off their website. But after reading your review, I may just break down and buy the book...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Im going to get this cookbook. It sounds like it has some great healthy recipes in it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This blog wаs... how do I sаy іt? Releѵant!
    ! Fіnally І've found something that helped me. Thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site: premature ejaculation pills

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.