Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Conversation with Bobby Flay....

As I type this post, I'm shaking with excitement. In fact, I think I need a chill pill. The Incredible Food Show in Lexington was a complete blast. I had an incredible and amazing day perusing all the goodies, meeting local chefs, and watching cooking demos. But, the very best part (and the highlight of my year) was Bobby Flay's cooking demonstration!

Bobby came on stage to a screaming audience. He is even more attractive in person. In addition to his looks, he carries himself extremely well. He is one of those people who are both impeccably dressed and well-groomed. On top of all that, he is completely charismatic, charming and full of raw sex appeal. Let's not forget that THE MAN CAN COOK! All you ladies out there know that this is a winning combination!! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor just to concentrate on the cooking :D Bobby is a real people person. He was chit chatting with the audience and made everyone feel right at home. He is a prankster and practical joker. He kept cracking jokes throughout the show. He also talks with his hands, alot. This made it difficult to get good pictures of him, but I did manage some. I'll be posting more later this week.

Towards the end of the show there was time for a Question and Answer period. Guests were invited to go up to the microphone and ask questions. If you had the chance to meet me you would notice very quickly that I am TERRIBLY shy. I have been shy my whole life. It must have been Bobby's looks that caused me to climb out of my shell today!!

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT I DID?

Picture an arena full of people, all ages. Then there's me, and about 10 other people in line. I don't know what I'm going to say, but gosh darn it...I'm gonna say something. The question and answer period is going on while Bobby is making an apple dessert. The show is winding up and I am the VERY LAST PERSON to ask a question, or I guess I should call it a statement : O

Me: Hi Bobby! I am a huge fan of yours and I have been watching you on the Food Network since it began.

Bobby: Well, it's always nice to hear about fans from way back.

Me: I have had a crush on you since back then and I just wanted to tell you that you're gorgeous!!

What happened next is something I'll never forget! Bobby blushed and smiled, really big!! He asked me if I liked apples. I, of course, said yes. Then he gave me my very own dessert, made completely by him and told me thank you!! He was over his time limit and ran off stage after that. Mind you, I'm standing in front of the stage with my dessert in hand and 500 hungry people behind me! I was one big ball of nerves. My adrenaline was pumping and I was all hopped up. I quickly found a place to take a picture (or 50) of my handmade Bobby Flay dessert. Some of the other audience members wanted to take a picture as well. And, everyone wanted to know how it tasted.

Onto the dessert. I believe it was from his Mesa cookbook. It was a Caramel Apple Shortcake with Apple Cider Reduction and it was PERFECT (just like Bobby)!! I only wish that my adrenaline wasn't running so hard because it was really hard to calm down and enjoy it :D
We watched Bobby make it all from scratch on stage. His shortcake biscuits were so light and flaky. They were better than any I've ever had before. It was almost like a pie crust, but the best pie crust imaginable. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted delicious.

I walked out of that arena with a huge smile on my face and I was kind of laughing to myself. This is exciting stuff for a housewife!! Here I am a married woman, with two kids, in my mid thirties telling a married man that he's gorgeous. It's not something I would normally do, but it was totally what I was thinking and IT SURE FELT GOOD TO TELL HIM!! In the end, it paid off well :D

It all reminds me of what my Grandpa used to say whenever we were lucky, doing well, or things were going our way. He used to always say "You must be livin' right". On the other hand, if we weren't winning and were having bad luck then we "weren't livin' right". My Grandpa loved to see people "go for it" and today reminded me of him. Tonight I can hear him telling me that I'm livin' right!!

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great and fun experience. The dessert looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, proud of you Kim.. way to go!! Raw sex appeal, huh?? My kinda man!

    Sharing the dessert recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! At least you said something great - I probably would have said something dorky!

    And it's nice to hear that he's better looking in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You GO Kim!!! That is incredible! Wow, did you get photos? Sounds like you had an amazing time and I look forward to hearing about more of it. Feel free to email me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, what a perfect day! I can't wait to see more photos. That dessert looks amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowza! Sounds like an exhilarating time for sure :-) Glad you had such and outstanding time--you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at YOU! This is so awesome. I always like to think that I would have the guts to do something like that and I am so proud of you. This will definitely be a day that you will never forget. I am all smiles for you :D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post :) I'm so happy for u, I have a big smile on my face after Reading this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an opportunity!
    Congratulations for getting the courage up to flirt with your idol - we are all proud of you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is an amazing story! I'm so jealous. If I was stranded on a deserted island, I would want T Flow, B Flay and a kitchen. Dreamy :) So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!! Just Wow!! I'm so jealous, and green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That is so cool! I LOVED to read about your experience with Bobby Flay. He is one of my favorites, too! I love it when he comes on Iron Chef. He's amazing. I'm so glad that you got to talk to him! Your entry was very entertaining to read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! So glad you mustered up the courage to speak to him! That is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is fantastic Kim! I love Bobby Flay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Bobby Flay in person! I am so jealous! What a great opportunity. I hope you are planning to share a few photos.

    Loved your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh, how fun! i got all giggly just reading your post! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woo-Hoo!! I'm SO proud of you! That is great! Do you know that at the Kenny Chesney concert I jumped the fence (it was tiny) to get better pix of him when he was signing autographs. I guess we are getting braver as we get older- very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am soooo sorry I am late on this!! This is such wonderful news!!! I am glad you had the opportunity to speak with him :) I know you feel though :) Don't laugh when I tell you this...but back in March of this year I went to a New Kids On The Block concert. I hadn't been to one since wayyyyyy back...in the early 1990's. Well...I had a chance to be up front...2 or 3 feet away from my favorite member of the group (Joey). And. Oh. My. God! I was literally a 14 year old girl again...screaming and swooning over this man...who is 6 years old then me...is married..and has 2 kids. So...I know how ya feel :) The energy I had after that concert was amazing!! Way to go girl :) You need to share that recipe that he made for ya :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.