Tuesday, October 6, 2009

One-Pot Wonders for I Heart Cooking Clubs: Spanish Omelette

I decided to take a break from my Food Show posts, and post about this week's theme for I Heart Cooking Clubs. This week's theme is one pot wonders, dishes that can be made in one pot. What's not to love about that concept? I knew instantly that I wanted to make Nigella's Spanish Omelette. Although the recipe does not call for it, I had some Spanish chorizo leftover that I've been wanting to use up. Additionally, my husband had off this past weekend. He has been working seven days a week for almost three months now and we have missed having breakfast together as a family. What man doesn't love an omelette stuffed with meat and potatoes?

I am really enjoying cooking from Nigella's recipes, mainly my copy of Nigella Express. Each new recipe truly is an adventure in the kitchen. Each week I am making something I haven't made before, or cooking with a new ingredient. I had never tried Halloumi before and found I loved it. I never thought to make risotto with cheddar cheese, but how familiar and comforting. And, while I always wanted to make rice crispy treats, I never got around to it until Nigella. The Croque Monsieur Bake was easy and delicious and great to throw together for a quick breakfast/brunch. I even worked with phyllo dough for the first time while making my version of Nigella's chocolate croissants.

This Spanish Omelette is another fun recipe for me. I had never bought Manchego cheese and cooked with it at home before. A quick trip to the Mousetrap, a fantastic local cheese shop, and I was ready to go. The Manchego was quite inexpensive. I was able to get about a quarter pound of El Trigal Manchego for under three dollars. Twenty dollars later, I left the cheese shop. I think that was using constraint, don't you? I bought the Manchego, some great 5-year aged Cheddar made in Quebec, and some fantastic hand & body lotion by The Naked Bee scented with Orange Blossom Honey. That lotion is terribly addictive and smells like the most brilliant and sunny oranges. I could bathe in it. You know you're really into food when you walk around smelling like it all day long :D

Spanish Omelette - adapated from Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
8 oz. baby new potatoes, halved
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated Manchego or Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers from a jar (I subbed my Spanish chorizo for the red peppers)
3 scallions, finely sliced (I subbed fresh chives for the scallions)
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon butter
drop of oil

Turn on the broiler and let it heat up while you start off the omelette. Cook the new potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes until cooked through, then drain. (In the spirit of one dish wonders, I had some boiled potatoes left over). Whisk the eggs in a bowl and then add the cheese, pepper, and scallions and season with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and oil in a small skillet, and once hot pour in the omelette mix and cook gently for 5 minutes. By this time, the bottom of the omelet should be set and rather than turn it, simply sit the skillet under the broiler for a few minutes to set the top. Turn the omelet upside down onto a plate to let cool. Don't worry if it feels a little wibbly-wobbly in the middle, as it will carry on cooking as it cools. Once cool. slice into 4 large or 8 smaller wedges.

Serves 4 or more, depending on what else is available to eat at the same time.

Notes/Results: If served alone, with no other accompaniments, it will be happily gobbled up by two people! This was a quick and simple breakfast that was delicious and unique at the same time. We really enjoyed it, all on it's own, for breakfast Sunday morning. I would make it again, especially if I had Spanish chorizo or Manchego on hand.
Head on over to I Heart Cooking Clubs this week to see what other one pot wonders everyone else came up with. You are sure to find something quick and easy to suit your palate!! Better yet, join us and make your own one pot wonder. Next week's theme is Midnight Sneaks. How fun! I love those episodes of Nigella where she is sneaking downstairs at night, in her robe, eating straight from the fridge.

17 comments:

  1. This sounds totally delicious. My husband would love it.
    Great idea to use your Spanish chorizo in it.
    I haven't tried those cheeses yet but am looking forward to it - cheese lover that I am.
    So glad you got some cheddar from Quebec! That is where most of the best Canadian cheese comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me want to go to a cheese shop! And it's pouring out. The recipe does look delicious - loving the sausage and thinking about the smile on my husband's face if I presented that to him (he's usually the breakfast cook). What a grand way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all kinds of egg dishes, this one looks wonderful.
    p.s. dont all nigella episodes end up with her and her "secret snacking"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! that looks delicious! i love eggs... they're so versatile and easy. yay for one pot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of the movie ' sunhine' where sophia loren makes an omlette out of 24 eggs!...gorgeous one. Maybe I will try this since my boyfriend and sister likes eggs so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter was just asking me what on earth an omelette was and I realized I haven't made one in years and years. Sounds like a great Sunday brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness...I may have to change my dish...or just make 2! This sounds so good and I love the chorizo in it!! It is really difficult to find Spanish chorizo around here...Mexican is everywhere, though. I need to search some out, because it sounds so great in here! Great one pot post :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love omelettes/frittata (you say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to) and yours looks fabulous. We had one for dinner last week when our water had been turned off for a few hours and I just couldn't face "boil the water" to make dinner.Wish I could play, but the recent problems with gmail and hotmail have left me out in left field--no one's receiving my emails. Oh, well...next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would definitely go over well at my house! Looks wonderful! Eggs, potatoes, sausage, and cheese...what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good! I never thought of omlettes as 1-pot meals but they sure are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tortillas(Omelettes),you use your favorite ingredients and they are delicious and simple to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE a good one pot meal and this one sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One pot wonders=not so much dishes to do. That and they taste delish. I eat so many eggs my cholesterol must be through the roof. Ha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The addition of the spanish chorizo makes this sound over-the-top tasty! This would work for dinner or breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummm! I have yet to try any of Nigella's recipes, but I do have one I plan to make soon :) We don't have a cheese shop here :( We do have a World Imports...but I'm sure it simply can't compare to having a straight up shop devoted to just cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks just sensational - I love the Nigella Express book too. It is a treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.