Friday, October 16, 2009

Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies-Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies Week #3


Eating this cookie is a beautiful experience! (Please double click on the picture to fully understand) If you love chocolate, then you don't want to miss out on this one - you will not be disappointed with this cookie. I have recently joined up with some great ladies who are making one cookie or bar cookie per week until Christmas, hence the title 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. I joined up a couple weeks into it, so this is week number three. This means nine more weeks of cookies. Sounds delicious, doesn't it?

I think this is a great opportunity to try some new cookie recipes and decide what to add to your Christmas cookie platter. These chocolate chocolate chip cookies will definitely be on my Christmas cookie platter. In fact, I made six cookies only, and I am freezing the rest of the dough and saving it to bake at Christmas.

I have been cooking a lot of Nigella recipes from Nigella Express and I have really loved them all. I wanted to try one of her cookie recipes and am pleased to say that this cookie recipe is my favorite recipe in the book so far. This recipe starts with melted chocolate, then adds cocoa and 2 cups of chocolate chips. These are a delicious chocolaty, sweet and salty cookie that is out of this world delicious, especially right out of the oven!

Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies - Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
4 oz semisweet chocolate (I used milk chocolate here)
1 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick soft butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg, cold from the fridge
2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels or dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F. Melt the 4 oz. of chocolate. Measure the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Cream the butter and two sugars in another bowl. I use my freestanding mixer, itself a source of comfort to me. Add the melted chocolate and mix together. Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the chocolate chips. Scoot out 1/4 cup-sized mounds - an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are the best tools for the job - and place on a lined baking sheet about 2-1/2 inches apart. Do not flatten them. Leave to cool on the bakign sheet for 4-5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool. Makes 12 big cookies.

Notes/Results: There were a lot of different things about making this cookie dough. First I noticed that Nigella called for a cold egg. I'm not sure why (maybe someone can share) a cold egg, but it worked out great. This baffled me because I was taught to always bake with room temp ingredients. Also, there is only 1 cup of flour in this cookie recipe. This caught my attention and I immediately knew it was going to be a fudgey-type of cookie - yum! This cookie is absolutely divine right out of the oven. It is chocolaty, sweet, and a tad on the salty side. It is easily one of the best cookies I have ever ate. I also recommend following Nigella's directions and making the cookies the 1/4 cup size. This leads to crispy edges and chewy and ooey gooey insides and makes for a very happy cookie monster!! I highly recommend this cookie. Thanks Nigella!!

Click on any of the blogs below to see what all the other cookie monsters made this week!
Megan of My Baking Adventures
Barbara of Barbara Bakes
April of Abby Sweets
Megan of Megan's Cookin
Denise of Keeper Worthy Recipes

25 comments:

  1. I clicked on the picture and I TOTALLY unerstand. These look terrific! And freezing the dough till Christmas is a very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I must come here often. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too clicked that picture and oh my word!! It does look drool worthy!! Thanks for baking along!!

    I sent you an email a couple of days ago, did you get it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is it that I always eat more than my weight in cookies come November/December :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...a chocolate chocolate chip cookie! I bake CC cookies for my husband every Christmas as his special treat. I might just change it up this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of starting things where you can freeze till later and maybe stop the hectic tide that happens late November. And these are a winner! Loving that chocolatey goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks very rich and fudgy, yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, what a great chocolate fixer cookie this would be! ummmm I always make my cookies with cold eggs, I forget to take them out of the fridge until I need them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you- the cold egg? Interesting...glad it turned out well. Your 12 wks of cookies group sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. droooool, chocolate heaven. i love that you guys are doing these cookies, it makes me want to try them all! it's making christmas very easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Wow. Wow. That might be the best looking cookie I've ever seen. I'm thinking I need a cookie. Its Friday. Congrats on the halfway point as well! Have I told you lately that I love your blog??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to put this on my must try list! what's not to love about fudgey cookie! Welcome to our cookie group!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Yes, my idea of a bit of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these cookies! I think they will be in my platter too:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that Nigella chick knows what she's doing...these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow nice cookie. The 12 weeks is such a good idea. Looking forward to more cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice, chocolaty cookie! I'm sure the fact that there was only 1 cup of flour in it contributed to the ooey gooey-ness :) That idea for the 12 weeks of Christmas is a good one. I'm going to have to check that out :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love chocolate. I don't think there is anything you can't make better by having it in your life :D Good job on these Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kim, I made these and had a lot of trouble, mixing them, in the beginning. Would you read my blog and maybe you can give me some suggestions as how to fix my problem or what I did wrong. They were delicious anyway.

    Please drop by to pick up your award, also.

    I will be checking the cookie sites to get some new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim, you're killing me. I did click on the picture and could almost taste that oozing chocolate. I love cookies, but I just made the 10 pound mark at WW, so will have to live vicariously through your blog. I might join in once or twice, though, since I've bookmarked some WW cookies to try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I died and went to chocolate heaven. These cookies look fabulous. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been wanting to make these. They look awesome! Can't go wrong with chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a coincidence - I just made these for a cooking club I am in, and will be posting tonight. I thought they were so amazing that you could make a fortune selling them. Easily one of the best cookies I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.