Monday, October 26, 2009

Hot Chicken Salad and Nutter Butter Ghosts

This summer I joined up with the My Girl Paula cooking group and have cooked and indulged in at least 16 Paula Deen recipes. Sadly, those 16 recipes have stuck with me, if you know what I mean. We all know that Paula's recipes are not kind to the waistline. It is for this reason that this will be my last post with the My Girl Paula group. I will still be following along and may cook up an occasional Paula treat, but the main focus is going to be on cooking lighter (with a few exceptions, of course).

This week at My Girl Paula there was no chosen recipe. We were able to choose any recipe we wanted. I chose to go with Paula's recipe for Hot Chicken Salad, which allowed me to finish cleaning out my refrigerator. I remembered making this recipe several years ago and having mixed feelings about it. Back then I used sauteed and cubed up chicken and this time I used leftover rotisserie chicken. After trying the version made with rotisserie chicken I can easily say that this is the only way you should make this recipe. The texture was just so much better and this recipe was delicious! We really liked it, and I will definitely be making it again.....someday. If you really want to indulge, this is a quick, comforting and very tasty recipe packed with crunchy and creamy goodness.

Hot Chicken Salad - adapted from Paula Deen & Friends by Paula Deen
2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, cubed (use rotisserie chicken, if possible)
1-1/2 cups diced celery (my hubby doesn't like celery, so I added peas)
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (do not skip this,, it was my favorite part of the recipe)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated onion
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup crushed potato chips
Note: We love garlic, so I added 1 big clove of garlic
Note: I baked mine in an 8x8 baking pan

Preheat the oven to 375F. Paula says to spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with vegetable oil, but I don't really think you need to. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, celery (or peas), almonds, salt, onion, pepper, lemon juice, mayo, and cheese. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Spread the crushed potato chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.

This would be great dish to take along to a party, serve to children, or as part of a family dinner!!

For dessert, I made these cute little nutter butter ghosts. While shopping through the Fresh Market one day, I noticed a package of these little guys and thought they were really cute. Rather than pay $4.95 for about 4 or 5 of them, I decided to try them myself. I didn't really use a recipe. I just melted some white chocolate in a double boiler, dipped the nutter butters in the white chocolate, and then made some ghost eyes using Nutella.


They turned out pretty good, but I did notice a couple of things along the way. Coating just one nutter butter used a lot of white chocolate. In fact, it was probably cheaper to buy them at Fresh Market. My white chocolate mixture was pretty thick and probably needed to be thinned out somehow. Also, the Nutella wasn't the easiest thing to pipe out into eyeballs. In hindsight, I wish I had used mini chocolate chips and a little pair of tweezers. I think that would've been a little easier. I originally wanted to insert the nutter butter onto a popsicle stick and make them into lollipops/suckers. However, the popsicle stick was too wide and just made the cookie fall apart. You could probably use a wooden skewer, but it wouldn't be as easy to hold. They tasted pretty good and the kids loved them. I will probably make them again next year, with a few adjustments. I definitely welcome any suggestions you all might have for improving these little guys.

Happy Monday!!

23 comments:

  1. Those ghosts are so cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hear ya about Paula's recipes not being very figure-friendly. Chicken salad looks great though; I've never had a hot one before. I bet the potato chips made it even better (chips & mayo? I can see why you've decided to cut back on the Paula Deen recipes!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I could use a bowl of that today! And the ghost are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, those nutter butter cookies are to die for. I sooooo miss those cookies from america, and i always pig out on them when visiting my parents. You did such a cute thing with them :) u know what? I ain't afraid of those ghosts lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the NutterButter Ghosts. As someone who's had to drastically change the way she cooks and eats, I hear you about limiting your exposure to Paula. I find it easier to search out recipes that are lightened or healthy and to play with them while I'm trying to lose weight. I will, of course, not attempt to lighten the holidays other than to cook fewer dishes--it's always like a Bacchanalian orgy--but some dishes just can't be lightened!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off...I LOVE Nutter Butters...they're my favorite. Second...NO WAY!! I have been making this chicken salad for over 12 years...and now it's a Paula recipe!? It's always been one of my faves and was just thinking about blogging it...crazy!! Awesome pic :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. the nutter butter ghosts are so cute!!!!!! i love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww...we will be sad to see you go :( BUT...I totally understand about watching the waist line. I've been trying to pick some of lighter recipes from the list that is given. I also have seen those peanut butter ghosts and thought about making them myself. I know my kids would love them :) They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute!
    But I am loving the sound of a hot chicken salad.
    I was contemplating joining Paula fun too.. but was also worried about the ... generosity of the recipes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hot chicken salad sounds so good! And how could it not be with potato chips on top! YUM!! I love almonds on my chicken and tuna salads. The ghosts are adorable! I can imagine how yummy the PB and white chocolate tastes together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks very good but I relate. My current adventure is taking recipes and changing them into healthier versions. Some things have turned out great and some not so much. But the big reward is getting healthier :-)
    I do, however, give myself a free day once a week and that day would be perfect for Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear ya girl on Paula's stuff...it's freaking delicious but not generally figure friendly. This hot chicken salad looks really good, though! And I need to try making the ghosts for sure! I love Nutter Butters and anything covered in white chocolate is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, hot chicken salad rocks! I hear ya about Paula not being waistline friendly. Let me tell you - Nigella's recipes have been packing the pounds on us too. She likes cream and butter...great food mind you, but my clothes are getting tight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree about the Paula Dean recipes. Yes they are yummy...and to indulge once in awhile is ok...but not only are they not figure flattering...some can be down right unhealthy. I love her though. She was in town last year and I was able to go hear her speak. What a hoot...she just has to watch the trans fats, etc. Your dish looks delicious...can't wait to see some of your lighter versions.

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super YUMMY! I have to say that any recipe made with rotisserie chicken is infinitely better. If only it wasn't so darn'd expensive and a pain to pick off the bone. Your Ghosts look absolutely adorable, too! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great recipe. It sounds very husband friendly too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks really good! The ghosts are adorable. I'm so sorry to hear about you leaving. :( I totally understand, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Paula. We have such a love/hate relationship. Some of her food just looks so good. But I can't compromise my rule of never using more than 1/2 stick of butter in any one recipe. This chicken salad doesn't look too bad for you though! Well, maybe sans the potato chips.

    I love those nutter butter ghosts! What a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those ghosts are so cute!!!Delicious recipe, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been eying those nutter butter ghosts for a while. They're just so cute! I've had good luck with adding a tablespoon of Crisco in with a cup of the melting chocolate. It makes it a perfect consistency!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your nutter butter ghosts are adorable! The chicken looks delicious--wonder if it could be lightened up?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually Paula is starting to eat healthier--supposedly! In her magazine I get, she claims she is trying to make an effort to lose weight. Whether that be more exercising or halving the butter in her recipes, only time will tell ha ha :-P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.