Friday, October 30, 2009

Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies Week #5: Chambord Crisps

These cookies caught my attention when I first saw them over at Every Last Cookie. I was intrigued by the use of Chambord or Cassis to make a cookie and knew immediately that I would have to try these. This is a Martha Stewart recipe that originally called for Creme de cassis. Lizzie over at Every Last Cookie substituted Chambord, and so did I. You can find the recipe here on Lizzie's blog. You should definitely check out her blog, if you haven't already. She is baking her way through Martha Stewart's new cookie book.

Notes/Results: This is easily one of the most unique cookies I have ever made. It has a biscuit-like texture, with a mild fruity taste, and is topped off perfectly with sanding sugar. They are somewhat addictive. The only downside is that the dough needs to chill for at least one hour. After chilling, the dough needs to be rolled out and cut into 3" squares. I didn't have an easy time with the dough, but the cookies turned out just fine. I think the dough needs to chill longer than one hour. I liked this cookie, but they are a little more work than what I usually do for a cookie. I'd like to think I would make them again, especially for a party or a group of adults. They are really tasty!

Head on over to see what these fellow cookie monsters baked up this week!
Megan of My Baking Adventures
Barbara of Barbara Bakes
April of Abby Sweets
Megan of Megan's Cookin
Denise of Keeper Worthy Recipes

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this cookie before. Looks really nice and crumbly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good and would be perfect with my hot cup of tea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique cookie and I love the sanding sugar. Thanks for Lizzy's link. I'll go check her out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound great. I made a Martha recipe a long time ago that was a lemon cookie with a glaze made from Creme de cassis. This reminded me of them. I'm thinking I'm going to have to dig it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - how unusual! I've never seen anything like that! I'll bet they tasted really good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had a cookie like this. It sounds so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. All those cookies need is a Chambord Belini to go with them. I'll bring the Champagne, you bring those cookies. These do sound great for Christmas since most every other cookie would be chocolate (no I'm not complaining). Thanks for the link, these I will be making at Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Def sounds like a different kind of cookie, but I am always up for trying new recipes!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating... This is on my must make list...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of these but they look delish. Sorry you had a hard time with the dough though :( That always happens to me. I seem to have a hard time with "doughy" recipes but then once they have baked/cooked, they turn out great. Weird how that happens...lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.