Monday, October 5, 2009

Bobby Flay Loves to Talk With His Hands

I thought it was the Italians that were known for talking with their hands? Maybe it's the Irish that love to talk with their hands. In fact, this was one of the first things I noticed about Bobby Flay. The man loves to talk with his hands. I thought it was rather cute. He was very animated and all, but I really wanted a picture of his face. In addition to talking with his hands (a lot), he is also a very quick mover. I did manage some better pics, that I will post tomorrow. In the meantime, I thought these were cute.

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone for all your sweet comments yesterday! I love reading my comments and yesterday's were filled with very kind words. I treasured them all!
In both of these pictures (above and below) Bobby is extolling the virtues of Jif peanut butter. He used peanut butter in a glaze/sauce for some ribs that he made. Bobby shared with us that Jif was his favorite brand. He likes creamy in recipes and chunky on his sandwiches. He also said that you could use natural peanut butter, but that he doesn't like the way it separates. He said he prefers the stabilizers in Jif. Everyone in the audience laughed when he said that.
In the picture below, Bobby is talking about his visit the night before to Malone's. Malone's is a very popular steakhouse in Lexington. It's a very nice restaurant, but one that most people can afford to go to here and there. Nothing super duper fancy. He was telling us that they made him wait in line to sit down. He seemed to like that. Later on, he asked the waiter for a specialty aged bourbon that had been aged six years. He was visited by the chef a couple of minutes later. The chef apologized that they were all out of the specialty bourbon. Instead, the chef offered Bobby some 25 year aged specialty bourbon that he kept in his car!! Bobby really enjoyed the fact that this chef kept 25 year aged bourbon in his car. He did end up having some of that bourbon. This picture is him laughing about his experience at Malone's.
In the picture below, Bobby is busy making my apple dessert. I took this picture while I was standing in line to talk to him. An eleven-year old boy had just asked him what his favorite foods were while he was growing up. He explained that he LOVED deviled eggs, pudding, and lamb with mint jelly. Moments later, he laughed and said that was the "entire extent of his mother's cooking repertoire". Bobby turned the question around and asked the young boy what his favorite foods were. The boy replied salmon and artichokes, which made Bobby laugh. He teased the young boy, telling him that he had just learned what an artichoke was this year. He followed that up by saying how great it is that everyone was interested and learning all about food. He said he hoped that the Food Network had played a big role in that. I was the next person up in line and I shared that I had been watching him on the Food Network for years. I have to say that the Food Network has taught people a lot about food and how to cook. It was their cooking shows that inspired me to get in the kitchen. I, myself, have learned a lot watching the Food Network channel.

Don't you just love the way he's using his hands in every picture? There is a lot I could say about this, but I'll stop here. You know where I'm going anyway:D I'll have some more pictures tomorrow, along with some stories that Bobby shared with us.

I didn't get around to making this week's My Girl Paula selection. My weekend was too busy, and my hubby was sick. This week's selection was Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle and I bet it was delicious!! Head on over to see how everyone else enjoyed it. I'll be back to My Girl Paula next week with Mini Mummies, a great Halloween recipe for the kids!!

12 comments:

  1. The gesticulating must be a New York thing.
    Such a grand time you had, I am so happy for you! You starting up a Bobby cooking group now? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard Mr. Flay will be just north of Seattle in a couple of weeks. I might go down to check it out and meet the well-known chef. I also heard Guy Fieri from Diners Drive-Ins & Dives will be at the same spot on a different date. I'd better confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to do some research and find out when some of these chef superstars are coming to Alabama. Paula comes here alot because her magazine is based out of Bham. I hope I don't become a crazed chef stalker. I did become an 80's hairband stalker, but I'm so over that stage! :) I'm moving on to bigger and better things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still stuck on raw sex appeal from previous post, yes I see it, he is oozing it. The confidence, confidence is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the Irish and Italians are very good at waving hands around alot while talking (amongst other things). lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobby is so cute. I think I love him all the more now that I know he loves peanut butter. I am still amazed that you got thisclose to him! Plus it seems like he has a great personality. Always nice to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am almost 100% Italian, so my family is always flinging hands around lol. Hope your hubby feels better, I've been down with a cold for about 3 days now :-( It's definitely going around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh so fun! i love the pictures, what a priceless memory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is a cutie; I love that he talks with his hands. I'd be mute without mine--Italian through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice guy! I love your post here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha...I see what you mean about him talking with his hands. When I watch him on tv I never noticed that...lol. Now I'm going to be on the lookout for it...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim,
    It's a NY thing, people that talk with their hands.
    Bobby is a true New Yorker...born and raised here.
    Jews and Italians always talk with their hands, and watch out if you're from Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.