Monday, June 7, 2010

Popsicle of the Week: Peach Melba


I thought by now we might be growing tired of popsicles, but it hasn't happened yet! This week I have one of my all-time favorite combinations: peaches and raspberries. I really LOVE when summer arrives and I can have a bowl of juicy sliced peaches sprinkled with ruby red raspberries. It's one of my favorite food combinations and just happens to be healthy, so it's all good! I figured I would try my hand at a peach popsicle with raspberries sprinkled in. With only 1/4 cup sugar in all nine popsicles, this is the healthiest popsicle yet.

I've been using the natural light in my kitchen window to shoot most of my pictures and we were having a rather dark and dreary day on the day I took the picture. The above picture definitely isn't the best, but the peach popsicles were the color of peanut butter. In fact, the final product reminded me of a peanut butter and jelly popsicle (hmmmm...can't decide if that is a good idea or bad idea, but it makes me think....) I used the peach popsicle recipe from Shelly Kaldunski's book, Ice Pops.
Fresh Peach Popsicles
Adapted from Ice Pops by Shelly Kaldunski
Makes 6-8 pops (I made nine pops in my Zoku)
3 ripe peaches, about 1 pound total weight, peeled if desired (I used 4 small peaches)
1/4 cup superfine sugar (I make my own superfine sugar by pulsing in the blender)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of salt
Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits, then chop the flesh. Place in a blender or food processor. Add the sugar, lemon juice, salt and 1/4 cup water and process until the mixture is completely smooth.
If using conventional ice pop molds, divide the mixture among the molds. Cover and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days. If using sticks, insert them into the molds when the pops are partially frozen, after about 1 hour, then continue to freeze until solid, at least 3 more hours.

Notes/Results: The peach popsicles were delicious all on their own, but I had an overabundance of fresh raspberries to use up, so I decided to sprinkle some fresh raspberries into the bottom of the molds and call them Peach Melba Popsicles. I really enjoyed the popsicles with the added raspberries, but the kids preferred them without (no surprise there). I really liked the peach popsicles and must admit that they are one of my favorites so far. With only 1/4 cup sugar, these are definitely one of the healthier pops. I will definitely be looking for more fresh, juicy, ripe peaches at the farmer's market. I definitely see myself making these again.

21 comments:

  1. I like the way the raspberry sticks out of the peach popsicle, it's so neat looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful! They sound darn delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cool! I would never have thought to put berry into the molds this way. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh pretty! I've really been debating over getting one of those popsicle makers. They look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you make a peanut butter and jelly popsicle. You will be my hero. Just letting you know.

    I really like these! I've never thought to combine peach with raspberry actually. What have I been thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an elegant flavour for a popsicle. They look so pretty with the pieces of raspberry.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any ideas how I could enjoy these at the beach without them melting before I wanted them? These look like a great flavor to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds and looks really good,Kim..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fresh and beautiful. I still need to get me one of those cool popsicle makers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would imagine that these are fantastic. I've had peach and raspberry pie and loved it. The flavors would be the same here. Very nice! I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look so summey. In this heat they would be very welcome!

    I was thinking of tying to make sorbet this week but maybe popsicles......

    ReplyDelete
  12. The berries in the mold look so beautiful! I am definitely not tired of seeing your new popsicle recipes so I hope you guys don't tire of coming up with new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love how the raspberries pop through there! Looks fresh and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ice pop with the raspberries looks so artistic and appetizing.

    Wish our weather (in Ireland) was better!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kim,
    This sounds like another winner, but that PB&J popsicle sounds awefully good! Might be worth a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. They sound awesome! Love those raspberries! Just wish it would warm up here so that I could eat a popsicle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so adorable and a great flavor combination. BTW did you see all the popsicles in the last FN Magazine? Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those raspberries peeking out look so yummy! What a lovely flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm behind on my blog reading! These look so cool. Definitely have a "Wow! Look at that!" factor.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to try these, the peaches in the garden will be ripe soon.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pops look very cool with the fresh raspberries in them. I'll have to mark this one to try. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.