Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Guava and Cream Cheese on Galletas


This past weekend I was invited to a Bunco game for a Girls Night In. I love playing Bunco with the girls. It is the perfect excuse to eat good food, drink cocktails and have some girly chit chat. There was just one catch. Everybody was suppose to bring a potluck dish from another country. The hostess was having an international theme. The problem was that it was Thursday afternoon and I needed the potluck dish for Friday night, which didn't leave me a whole lot of time to plan or grocery shop, especially with two kids in tow. This is where I owe Velva of Tomatoes on the Vine a HUGE THANK YOU!!

Awhile back Velva posted guava and cream cheese served on Cuban Galletas. I mentioned to her that I really wanted to try the Guava Paste, but couldn't find it in the market. Velva was sweet enough to send me a package containing both the guava paste and the Cuban crackers, or Galletas. Velva's sweet gesture really saved me on this one! I threw these crackers together in no time at all and really appreciated not having to run to the store with two crazy kiddos. Thanks Again, Velva!

Please see Velva's post HERE for the recipe and her explanation about the guava paste.

Notes/Results
: The guava and cream cheese crackers were a huge hit! Everyone thought the guava was sweet and delicious and loved it paired with the cream cheese on the crackers. They declared it perfect party food and it was the first dish to disappear. I love this recipe because it is unique and simple and you don't have to heat up the kitchen to make it (which makes this a great summertime dish). I will definitely be on the look out for more guava paste in the store.

Thanks Again, Velva!!

20 comments:

  1. The kindness of fellow bloggers knows no bounds! I love guava paste and it sounds really good paired with the cream cheese. I've never played bunco but any excuse to get together with the girls is a good one for me!

    I totally laughed at the PB+J donut. And then I started thinking about how I could make it. Sigh. I think you've created a monster...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! I remember craving these as soon as I saw them...again...thanks ;) Does sound like a fun girls night...although I don't know what Bunco is, I like saying the word. tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just enjoy Bunco? :)I do! Loving the party food, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Velva is the best!!! I'm so glad it worked so well for you, I loved her post on it!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of an international potluck. Your contribution looks wonderful and very sophisticated. Nice job! It's really nice that someone sent you the needed ingredients. What a great package to open!

    Oh, my solution for avoiding messy grits: add tons of cheese so it all just sticks together! And I agree...I've stopped watching the news too b/c I can't stand hearing about the oil and seeing the images. So far, it's the oyster portion of our seafood industry that's getting hit the hardest. I can still find shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I knew Velva was quite a cook, but nice too! No fair :) These do sound delicious! I've never played bunco, but it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw these at Velva's and wanted to try them...now I have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting combination! How great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these on Velva's blog and admired their good looks. Nice to know they were a hit at your girls night out.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look wonderful and kudos to Velva for her generosity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome when bloggers help you out or even when they become friends. That is what this is all about, in my opinion. These galletas look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome combination. The galletas look wonderful. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice of her to send you the goodies. I love guava paste--it is wonderful with Manchego cheese too. Those little crackers are fun. My sister loves bunco but I have never played--sounds like fun though.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, actually I remember seeing this on her site :). We have something in England called Membrillo. Its a quince paste, but I've never seen quava here. So glad it was a hit :)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was so nice of Velva, Kim! I love her blog!
    Guava has always been my favorite jelly...my mother used to make it. We would often have it on crackers with cream cheese...it's quite thick, but it was not as thick as guava paste. So I am familiar with the idea.
    I bet everyone was thrilled with the unusual treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bunco, that name still cracks me up. Sounds like a sore that you get on your feet;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds delicious! You know that I am a huge guava paste fan! Velva is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Velva is one amazing blogger. So glad her recipe worked out for you, it looks so tasty.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that guava and cheese is popping up all over food blogs. We started eating the combo in Brazil. It is one of my very favorites! The crackers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where can you get the guava paste in Los Angeles California?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.