Friday, June 4, 2010

Greek Salad Pitas with Feta Spread and Chicken with Homemade Cracked Pepper Potato Chips


When I want to lighten things up, I turn to Ellie Krieger. If you've been reading Stirring the Pot for the past few months, then you know how much I love Ellie's recipes. I really feel like Ellie knows how to maximize flavor while providing recipes for well-balanced meals that are healthy. This week I chose her Greek Salad Pita with Feta Spread and Chicken as my sandwich of the week. To go with the sandwich, I made a batch of her Homemade Cracked Pepper Potato Chips.

If you enjoy feta cheese like I do, then you will also enjoy this sandwich. The feta spread is a rather thick spread made from feta cheese, which is thinned out with yogurt and lemon juice. Oregano, lemon zest and black pepper are added to season the spread. This feta spread is some pretty tasty stuff, especially served inside of a whole wheat pita with chicken, romaine lettuce, sliced english cucumbers and mint leaves. Ellie's original recipe calls for turkey, but I had leftover chicken, so I used that. I enjoyed this sandwich for lunch a couple times this week! You can find the recipe HERE.

To go along with the pita sandwich, I made Ellie's Cracked Black Pepper Potato Chips. Russett Potatoes are sliced thin, tossed with olive oil and black pepper and baked until crispy. Some of my potato chips did stick to the baking sheet, so the next time I will add a tad more oil than the recipe calls for. I do think this is a recipe worth perfecting because everyone loved them and you can really customize them with different spices to suit your taste. I see a spicy version in my future, very soon! You can find Ellie's recipe for the Cracked Black Pepper Chips and also the recipe for her Onion Dip HERE.

I am submitting my Greek Salad Pitas with Feta Spread and Chicken to my fabulous friend Deb @ Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sundays Roundup.

Also, my sweet friend Julie at The Sporadic Cook was kind enough to feature me on her blog today! Head on over to Julie's site by clicking HERE to see my answers to her Seven Sporadic Questions. Thanks so much Julie for featuring me on your blog today.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!

22 comments:

  1. I love Ellie Krieger too. I have yet to make anything from her cookbooks that has not been fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ellie too, so I always love when you feature her dishes. The few that I've tried are super! I am a huge fan of feta, so this looks delish to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know Ellie but yes, this does sounds grand - I am eyeing that feta spread very closely. Dreaming of lunch and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I love Greek. I wanted to go out for sushi tonight but now I want to change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really yummy! I've made a few of her recipes and am never disappointed:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You convince me more and more every day that I need to get myself an Ellie Krieger cookbook! I love the sound of that feta spread...and those potato chips. Totally addiction worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, what do you think of Ellie's new book? Is it as good as her first? I have yet to buy it but I just love her. The feta spread must be wonderful! Another awesome recipe out of your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks yummy. Simple sandwiches like these are what I really love. The feta spread must give this a real punch of flavour.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah, I love feta so this would be one I would like, Kim! I love the tang it gives. The potato chips are excellent too, we've done a similar version in the microwave but they didn't really crisp enough but their color was nice. I want to try some in a deep fryer and freshly salt (maybe sweet potato chips).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, yum, yum...you have the best recipes. I wish I had the ingredients right now...unfortunatly I went to the store today so I am going to have to wait a week...hate it when that happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my goodness, this looks wonderful! when i lived in idaho my favorite restaurant was a greek one and i loved the gyros, especially with extra feta! i will definitely have to make this, along with those fantastic chips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous recipe! This looks wonderfully tasty. Thank you for the lovely birthday wishes. They are appreciated. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds so good, especially the taste of feta cheese!!!Thank u for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two more Ellie recipes I am going to have to try, The sandwich and the chips both look delicious. I think a little curry powder on those chips would be wonderful too. ;-) Thanks for sending the sammie to Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have as many lunch recipes as I do dinner recipes. This looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Greek is great in summer! I bought Greek feta at my local market yestrday to make a salad. I'll get inspiration in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious. I love food like this one. The black pepper chips....Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The feta spread looks fantastic. Will have to try that one. We love Greek food.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was looking at those potato chips and thinking that they looked great, a bit thicker than the ones from the store. I like that they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a huge fan of feta so this spread sounds great. Nice to find another KY blogger. We are practically neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kim this sounds so darned good!!! And i love the potato chips :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.