Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dining with Dad


My Dad and I have always been best friends. As a little girl I followed my Dad around everywhere because I knew wherever he went, fun would follow. To me, my Dad was like magic and I never knew what fun game or activity he was going to dream up next. Dad and I would play games and laugh, from sunrise to sunset.

(Dad chasing me before I could even walk, so not fair!)

Dad and I were partners in crime. Laughter and games are always better when you "break the rules", right? There were definitely those times when the games were probably not appropriate, especially when it came to the dinner table. One of our favorite family meals was Spaghetti and Meatballs. You can imagine my Mom's delight at the game my Dad created, which was "How Much Spaghetti Can You Fit In Your Mouth At Once?" My Dad and I loved the game and would twirl huge chunks of spaghetti onto a fork and proceed to ram it into our mouths. Dad and I would laugh hysterically. My poor Mom. I don't think she cared for the game very much, but she never said anything. She just sat there silently while we acted ridiculous and laughed our heads off.

Our theme this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs is Dining with Dad. Our Father's Day celebration this year will be just me and the kids. I have plans to see my Dad in a couple weeks, but he lives in Ohio and I live in Kentucky. My husband also can't make it as he is working out of state and unable to come home. No worries, we plan on celebrating again soon! I decided that for now I would make Bittman's Bolognese and serve it over top some spaghetti, in honor of my Dad. After dieting for two weeks straight, the spaghetti with Bolognese sauce was a big splurge for me and I had no trouble seeing how much spaghetti I could fit into my mouth (LOL)!


Meat Sauce, Bolognese-Style
Adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
*Makes 1 quart, enough for about 3 pounds of pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 carrot, peeled and minced
1 celery stalk, minced
1/4 cup bacon or pancetta
1/2 pound lean ground pork
1/2 pound lean ground beef (I used 1lb. 95% Hereford Beef)
3/4 cup dry white wine (I prefer red wine in Bolognese)
1 (28-35 oz) can whole plum tomatoes, drained
1 cup beef or chicken stock,
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cream, half and half, or milk
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Put the olive oil in a large, deep skillet or saucepan. Turn the heat to medium-low and a minute later, add the onion, carrot, celery, and bacon or pancetta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.

Add the ground meat and cook, stirring and breaking up any lumps, until all traces of red are gone, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, raise the heat a bit, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.

Crush the tomatoes with a fork or your hands and add them to the pot; stir then add the stock. Turn the heat to low and cook at a slow simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes and any clumps of meat that remain. After an hour or so, add salt and pepper. Cook for at least another hour, until much of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce is very thick. (This sauce may be covered and refrigerated for a day or two, or put in a closed container and frozen for several weeks. Reheat before completing).

Add the cream, half and half, or milk and cook for another 15 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, taste and add more salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately with any dried or fresh pasta, passing grated Parmesan, if you like at the table.

Notes/Results
: I love making bolognese sauce. There is just something about a pot of sauce bubbling away on the stove for hours that is comforting. Bittman's Bolognese sauce was really good. The only change I made was to add in garlic. For some reason his recipe didn't call for any. I also subbed red wine for white wine because I prefer red wine in Bolognese. The recipe really did make a quart of sauce, which is great because I can freeze the leftovers for a great, quick meal later on. It was a great meal and I know my Dad would have approved!


I couldn't resist leaving you with this funny picture of my Dad teaching me how to use the sit-and-spin. After all, it's not every day that you see a grown man riding on a sit-and-spin. Looks like he is really trying to show me how fun it can be AND he really looks like he is enjoying himself!

A Very Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there!!

23 comments:

  1. Your relationship with your dad sounds adorable! Happy father's day to him and your husband.

    If you were going to eat anything to break the diet bank, I'm glad you chose pasta! My kind of woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post about your father. I was a daddy's girl too.

    I can't imagine Bolognese sauce without garlic. It must have been an omission on Mark's part.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice tribute to your dad! One of my dad's favorite meals has always been spaghetti, but shepherd's pie comes in a close second!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so lovely Kim. This is my first Father's Day without my father- so thinking and remembering a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what a lovely post and great recipe, have a fun fathers day with your Daddy love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Dad is adorable! This was such a sweet tribute. Sorry you can't be with him today - hope you get to see him soon. Your bolognese looks wonderful - there's nothing better than having a big pot of sauce on the stove. True comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing, lovely pictures of your father and a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and I love the pictures. ;-) The bolognese looks delicious--the perfect food to splurge on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading about you and your dad and enjoyed the pictures. Very fitting recipe to honor your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precious =) Those pics of your dad are great!! And what's up with you choosing all these non-garlic recipes lately? Good thing you know what's up ;) LOL...I could definitely give that game a go with a big bowl of your spaghetti bolognese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What sweet memories! Great old photos too. Your spaghetti looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post and I just love all the pictures you shared. A good bolognese is always hard to beat. Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading about your dad! What a fun guy! Also love the bolognese. I am guilty of eating bolognese sauce on its own without any pasta, it is just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim, this is so sweet! I love it! Your dad seems to have a really great sense of humor. This recipe is a great tribute. I like that Bittman's recipe includes ground pork too, it adds so much flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post! I hope in years to come our Sergio will say the same nice things about his dad! (me lol)

    Lovely recipe, very nice with milk/cream to richen. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the stories about you and your dad;) Sounds fun! Your spaghetti bolognese looks fabulously yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great tribute to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Words can not express my disappointment that this wonderful post was not finished with a picture of you current day with your mouth stuffed with as much spaghetti as you can :) ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Sounds like you and your dad have some great memories!! I think I like that spaghetti game!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a very similar relationship with my dad...lucky us! I loved the pics and this bolognese sauce looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lucky you, to have such a good relationship with your Dad. And a great recipe for spaghetti with Bolognese sauce to celebrate that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the family photos, Kim. Your dad looks like so much fun! No wonder you adore him. I think your old game of stuffing spaghetti in your mouth is funny, but I wouldn't want to try it with this dish. Every spoonful would be worth savoring!

    Ohio and Kentucky are so close...hope you get to see him often!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.