Thursday, June 3, 2010

Risotto with Fresh Herbs


Herb Gardens. Every year I attempt to grow one. Every year I end up killing one. It's not for lack of trying, but I definitely don't have a green thumb. This year I'm trying again. I have a small herb garden out back with lemongrass, chives, basil, parsley, cilantro, oregano, mint and dill. For now, everything is thriving and I am taking full advantage of having those fresh herbs in my backyard. I'm crossing my fingers that I can "do what it takes" to keep them alive throughout the summer, but I'm not making any promises either.

This week's theme over at I Heart Cooking Clubs is Herb Garden. I decided to make a risotto with fresh herbs. I went out to the garden and picked some chives, basil, mint, dill, and parsley, about 1/2 cup fresh herbs in all.

Simple Risotto with Fresh Herbs
How To Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman
4 - 6 cups vegetable stock
Large pinch saffron threads (optional) *I didn't have any saffron so I left it out
4-6 tablespoons butter or EVOO, to taste
1 medium onion, minced
1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine or water
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh herbs(parsley, basil, dill, mint, chervil, oregano, marjoram, or a combination of fresh herbs
Put the stock in a medium saucepan over low heat; add the saffron if you're using it. Put the 2 tablespoons of the butter or oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. Allow the remaining butter to soften while you cook. When the butter is melted or the oil is hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it softens, 3 -5 minutes.
Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is glossy and coated with butter, 2-3 minutes. Add a little salt and pepper, then the white wine. Stir and let the liquid bubble away.
Use a ladle to begin to add the warmed stock, 1/2 cup or so at a time, stirring after each addition and every minute or so. When the stock is just about evaporated, add more. The mixture should be neither soupy nor dry. Keep the heat medium to medium-high and stir frequently.
Begin tasting the rice 20 minutes after add it; you want it to be tender but with still a tiny bit of crunch; it could take as long as 30 minutes to reach this stage. When it does, stir in 2-4 tablespoons butter or oil (to taste) and at least 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Toss in the fresh herbs, reserving some for garnish if you like and serve immediately. Pass Parmesan cheese at the table if you like.

Notes/Results: We love risotto, so I knew we would love this recipe. It was perfectly creamy and full of fresh herbaceous flavor from all the fresh herbs. This recipe is a great main dish, but also would make for a beautiful side dish. I would definitely make this recipe again.

I am submitting this to I Heart Cooking Clubs for this week's theme Herb Garden. Stop on by to see what everyone else is cooking up.

Do you have an herb garden?

29 comments:

  1. I love having fresh herbs--so much better than store bought or dried, and saves alot of money too which is a plus! This looks great. Believe or not, I've never had risotto! So many foods, so little time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made risotto. Compared to regular rice, it seems so intimidating. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should post this - I am making pea risotto tonight.I love herbs and have had an herb garden for 20 years. I grow basil from seed (everything else doesn't seem to work for me). Chives, tarragon, oregano and mint return year after year 0 and it makes cooking so much more flavorful. Your creamy risotto is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I killed my herbs last year too. I didn't even bother planting any this year. Partly because I just haven't gotten around to it. But I agree, fresh herbs are the best! My mom has a killer herb garden. I'm jealous.

    This risotto looks perfect! I can just imagine how good it tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i lived in idaho i had window boxes with fresh herbs and lived all summer long on pesto. i LOVED it, but our apartment now doesn't get enough sunlight. oh well, hopefully the next place we move to will be herb growing conducive :)

    this look incredible. i LOVE risotto, i bet all of those fresh herbs tip it over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing like fresh herbs! And what a great way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fresh herbs! I had a little container herb garden but once I started using from it it totally died!?!?! I have a Basil plant right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Risotto is so comforting...and this one looks great with the fresh herbs lending it a hand. Good luck with your herb garden this year :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful herbs! This year I decided to skip (most) of the veggies I usually plant and just focus on an herb garden, and I cheated by buying starts, but boy have we been enjoying all those fresh herbs! Your risotto sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious. I guess it is yet another proof that simple is best. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve always enjoyed this lovely combination of flavors.This looks perfect and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your risotto looks wonderfully creamy!
    I have had an herb garden since I was a little girl, literally since I was about 5 years old with my nonna. This summer I have basil, rosemary, garlic chives, cilantro, italian parsley, dill, oregano, marjoram, lemon thyme and green onions. I always put my green onions in with my herbs. I usually grow purple basil but just forgot this year. I hope that your herbs survive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I normally try to grow my own herbs. I grow them in flower pots outside, but I haven't done it this year. Its wonderful to grow though, easy, and saves a lot of money (fresh herbs can get expensive).
    Never made my own risotto. THis looks absolutely lovely.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep on chugging babe! I know you can do it. I've never successfully grown an herb garden either. So I feel your pain. But at least you can make a mean risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yowl! Gorgeous fresh herbs. You take good photos. I have some rosemary, freshly cut from in front of the sandwich shop where my son works....I have to do something here this week.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love risotto too but I can imagine how the herbs really make this dish special. What a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! A few months back, you were tagged in our chocri Blog Race and won a bar. (This isn't a spam comment, I swear!) Your blog was one of the few without a Twitter account or contact link, would you like your bar? If you'd like to claim it, send me over an email- it's kim -at- chocri.com. And like I said, I'm totally not a robot! Yours was:

    + Milk Chocolate
    + Orange Chocolate Drops
    + Real Gold Flakes
    + Toasted Hazelnuts
    + Nougat Pieces
    + Bourbon Vanilla

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep we have a herb garden that is going gang busters. The oregano and mint is almost out of control, I can't use it fast enough. I love it though.

    Great looking risotto, Kim. Looks like it is perfectly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love risottos, and this one is so summery sounding with all those wonderful herbs. Hope they continue to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am horrible at herb gardening too! I've been planting all week and my basil and cilantro look like their on the outs already. I just love having fresh herbs on hand - their so expensive. A fresh herb risotto sounds totally delicious! Especially with Parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fresh herbs, nothin better!!! ~LeslieMichele

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your risotto looks just perfect--I am sure the herbs were spectacular. I kill every pot of herbs I buy but keep vowing that one day I will have a thriving herb garden. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks fantastic!!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so good and creamy! Beautiful job! And, I too, seem to kill off every herb I plant! Good luck with your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This risotto is so welcoming, Kim. This is the first year, I am growing herbs and so far, so good. I could easily incorporate them in your fabulous recipe...OK yours and Mr. Bittman's.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just chopped a bunch of herbs today. This will be a great recipe to use them

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love risotto! The herb makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great looking risotto Kim. I just proved to myself in my last post that dried herbs just can't compete with the fresh ones ;D
    Good luck and make sure you water, ALOT to keep the herb garden moist.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Risotto is just such great comfort foodm and I love the addition of fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.