Thursday, June 10, 2010

Twenty Minute Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies


This is a pretty cool and unique cookie recipe. Wanna know why? The first reason is because the cookies don't contain any flour. The second, and best reason, is because they are done, start to finish, in all of twenty minutes! I'm always hesitant when someone throws a time out, so I timed it just for fun and it was exactly twenty minutes. Clean up wasn't bad either. A mixing bowl, a wooden spoon and two cookies sheets, that's it!

My daughter's last day of school was yesterday, so her and all her friends are excited to be starting their summer break. After lunch today, we whipped up a batch of these cookies in record time. They were perfect for sharing. I had one cookie and sent the rest out for the kids (gotta get rid of that temptation, right?) Those kids have a much better metabolism than I do!

I've been eyeballing the recipe in Emeril's 20-40-60 Fresh Food Fast for sometime now and I'm glad that I finally got around to making them. Check out how easy they are!

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from Emeril 20-40-60 Fresh Food Fast
Makes 24 cookies
Time: Start to Finish 20 minutes (Using 2 cookies sheets w/ 12 cookies on each)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Position two oven racks in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Divide the dough into 24 portions, about one tablespoon each. (I used a small ice cream scooper, which holds about one tablespoon). Roll each portion between your hands to form a smooth ball. Place the balls of dough on ungreased cookie sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart. You should get about 12 cookies per sheet. Using a fork, press on the dough in two directions to form a crosshatch pattern.

Bake the cookies, rotating the sheets between oven racks and turning them back to front midway, until the cookies are puffed and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheets. Then remove them with a metal spatula.

Notes/Results
: Absolutely delicious! The cookies are tender and just about melt in your mouth. I highly recommend these cookies. Definitely a great recipe for kids who are learning how to bake and/or for anyone who needs a dessert in a hurry. Because there is no flour in the dough, there is really no mess at all. Also, the peanut butter is really a pronounced flavor in the cookie. Maybe because there is no flour to tame the PB flavor? Big peanut butter flavor is always a plus in my book!

Also, you have exactly ten more days to join up with the Blogger Burger Club and make the Caesar Salad and Flank Steak Burgers with Garlic Crostini. If you'd like to join along, please click HERE for the recipe and guidelines.

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Kim! This looks like the perfect afternoon treat for my Little Man, too! He does love helping mommy make cookies, but so many recipes are too time consuming to hold his attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a couple of no-flour PB cookies and love them for how quick they are. These look delicious--a perfect afternoon treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 minute cookies. I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how i love peanut butter cookies, they are not easy to find in the UK. My favs are nutter butters. These cookies sound great, I may try them :)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make these exact same cookies and have also blogged about them....isn't it crazy how easy, simple and delicious they are???

    Oh, and I've got to get my hands on Trisha Yearwood's new cookbook. I have her first one and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really?! This doesn't use any flour and can be made in 20 minutes? I'm going to definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how fast and easy these are with no sacrifice on taste! Although that could be dangerous...for my waistline...I bet the kids loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been SO good on this not eating food i shouldn't diet plan and then you go and post a PEANUT BUTTER cookie recipe. You are bad. So so bad.

    And that. Is why I adore you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flourless cookies...sounds intriguing. With as much as we like PB and chocolate around here we need to give these a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what I love best about this? I have the ingredients! These look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting, I can't quite picture how they taste without flour, but I'll bet it's intense and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim! These cookies look fabulous! Why haven't I thought of making peanut butter chocolate chip cookies before? I am bookmarking this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cookies look delicious!!! You can't tell there's no flour by looking...these are a definite addition to my list of must-make (which is ever-growing)!! YUM :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always looking for new cookie recipes--this one sounds like a keeper! Fast + little cleanup = thumbs up in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just adore PB cookies. If I made these I would have to hide them from my family. Love that there are chocolate chips in them too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to laugh when you said you are hesitant about cooking times. My husband thinks that most recipes have fudged cook times to intice people to try them...and they always end up taking longer.

    I have a flourless PB cookie recipe, but they aren't "tender" as you describe these. Maybe it's the brown sugar? I'll have to give these a go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cookies look absolutely delicious. I have heard of, but never baked this kind of confection. I'm really curious as to how these will turn out in my kitchen. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! I am so hungry for cookies right now. Definitely a good thing that I don't have any or I'd devour them! I love me some quick cookies!

    This is actually very similar to a no-flour pb cookie that one of the moms in my parenting group shared a while back. Now I've gotta try em'!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum! Quick PB cookies are just perfect for an afternoon pick me up.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.