Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Spaghetti and Meatballs for Tyler Florence Fridays

I think everyone has a go-to dish in the kitchen. One of the very first things I cooked was pasta and it has been my go-to dish ever since. I usually always have the ingredients on hand for spaghetti and meatballs. It is a family favorite that everyone enjoys and is easy and quick to cook.

This week, I decided to try my hand at Tyler's Spaghetti and Meatballs, found here. It is not much different from my own recipe as Tyler uses both ground beef and pork. The main difference between my recipe and Tyler's recipe is the size of the meatballs. I usually make small to medium sized meatballs, but Tyler makes 10 HUGE meatballs. And, I have to say that I think this is a great idea! Who wants to spend 20 minutes rolling out medium-sized meatballs when you can make 10 huge meatballs? Tyler also fries his meatballs briefly and then finished them off in the oven, after they have been topped with cheese! Pretty tasty Tyler, pretty tasty! Why not sneak extra cheese into a dish if you can? It doesn't hurt my feelings at all : )

Notes: I love the idea of making 10 big meatballs instead of many smaller ones. This makes the process go faster and helps me out when it is time to serve the dish. My husband will happily gobble up the meatballs, while my daughter won't want one at all. She doesn't even like to have pieces of ground meat in her sauce. The big size of the meatball really helped with this. This spaghetti is very close to what you might already be making and serving at home. It is a dish that everyone will love and a great staple in Tyler's archive of recipes. Tyler's recipe calls for a Pomodoro sauce, I used my own spaghetti sauce that was made with my mom's homegrown tomatoes.

**Don't forget about the Oikos Greek Yogurt giveaway ending this Friday at midnight. Please go here, and leave a comment sharing your favorite way to eat greek yogurt. The winner will receive all kinds of free goodies from Stonyfield. It is a great package!

Head on over to Tyler Florence Fridays to see what everyone else made this week!

20 comments:

  1. Gosh looking at this picture i am feeling a little jealous. It looks so good, and I am eating chicken fingers for dinner :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look great!
    I found out from this recipe that I am a small, hard meatball sort of gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those would be good for us too...boy child likes just sauce and girl child likes mostly meat. Problem solved! Lookd delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sauce from homegrown tomatoes? I am SO jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I had never heard of Pomodoro sauce, so of course I had to go check that out ;) I'd love to hear more about your homemade spaghetti sauce made with home grown tomatoes -- have you shared the recipe here yet? We have 7 tomato plants and I've been slicing and soup-ing and drying tomatoes like crazy. I'd love your spaghetti sauce recipe, if you're willing to share :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I spaghetti and meatballs...although the big'uns looks delicious...I love having a bunch of little ones in my spaghetti!!! Sounds delish :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm figuring this is about 5 days of WW points, but oh! yum! You're right about the addition of cheese; what could be bad there? You sure get my vote this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a huge fan of rolling meatballs, but once it's done, it's soo worth it! I would sub turkey for the beef--I bet it would be equally delish!

    As for the chia seeds, they are tasteless! But I think it's still great to use em for all the awesome health benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm, i love spaghetti and meatballs, your looks so mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, that dish looks amazing!I love, love meatballs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pasta is my go-to as well (but I think you knew that already)! Everyone has their own spaghetti and meatball recipe and I'm glad to hear Tyler's was a hit. I think I would like bigger meatballs as well. This is seriously the post for Donna, so much material for her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking of meatloaf for dinner tonight, but you might have changed my mind. Jonathan was just saying yesterday we hadn't had pasta in sooooo long! BTW, that chicken enchilada recipe was on the food network, that is how I found it. But when I went back yesterday it was gone, very weird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delish!!! I can just eat it through the screen!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks absolutely fantastic. Id love a heaping plate right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm...I am now officially craving meatballs. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of big meatballs too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spagh is one of my spouse's fav dish... I love and yours with the addition of meatballs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.