Monday, September 28, 2009

Squash Casserole for My Girl Paula



This squash casserole was heaven on a plate! I am happy to say that Paula's squash casserole was one of my suggestions for this month's My Girl Paula recipes. This time of year, squash is everywhere in abundance. Plus, it is super cheap and tastes delicious. I am inhaling it right now as a write this post and I am wishing that I would have made more!! The squash, onion, cheese and ritz cracker really come together to make one flavorful dish. This is a absolute repeater recipe. In fact, it might be my very favorite Paula recipe to date!! If you love squash, you will be super excited about this recipe, I promise.

On another note, food blogging can be known to cause "strange" behavior. Like making squash casserole for breakfast because the recipe is due to post today!! I know that all food bloggers know what I'm talking about, but my family thinks I've lost my mind. I am one of those people who need deadlines, otherwise some things just never come to pass. I am so glad the deadline came about for this squash casserole today, it was a delicious breakfast.


Squash Casserole - The Lady & Sons Too by Paula Deen
2 cups cooked mashed yellow squash
2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup shredded cheese, such as Cheddar or Swiss
1 cup chopped onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
pinch of sugar
6 tablespoons butter

Place the squash in a large bowl. Add the cracker crumbs, milk, cheese, and onion, and stir well. Stir in the eggs, salt, pepper, sugar, and butter, and pour into a greased 1-quart casserole. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Notes: I actually quartered the recipe and it turned out fabulous. The recipe was somewhat vague. I wasn't sure how to cook or mash the squash. I ended up softening the squash with a little bit of butter in a skillet on the stove. Once it was softened, I mashed it up with a spoon, leaving some texture. I also cooked the chopped onions with the squash, because I didn't want the onion to be raw in the casserole. I didn't have evaporated milk, so I used regular milk with fab results. I had some 5 year aged cheddar in my refrigerator from my favorite cheese shop. It added a delicious flavor to this recipe. Because I quartered the recipe, it reduced the egg to 1/2 egg. I used the egg white and tossed the egg yolk. I had to do my part in making the recipe healthier - ha ha!! Also, the recipe doesn't say how to add the butter into the casserole. I chose to soften mine in the microwave and stir it into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients.

Head on over to My Girl Paula where you can see a list of all the members and find out how they liked this casserole. Better yet, join up and cook along with us!! If you chose to play along, it wouldn't hurt to stock up on butter :D

23 comments:

  1. yummmmm - this just sounds awesome! Going to bookmark this recipe for this coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that I found this recipe. Whenever I go grocery shopping, I see all these beautiful yellow squash then I never know what to make with it. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds (and looks) absolutely lovely. Never seen it in a casserole like that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...I have to try your recipe! I just got some fresh squash over the weekend. Looks absolutely delicious!

    Welcome to the foodie blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about, LOL. I think this is a perfectly delicious and satisfying breakfast, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmm!!! I should have made this one too! I'm sure it was a great breakfast treat for you all :) It sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great dish! I wish I would have made this when my squash plant was going crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this last night...so good! I love squash, but my husband doesn't and he asks for this for dinner a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first thought was "what a great Thanksgiving side dish," but I don't think I want to wait that long. I may try to lighten it up a bit and give it a go if I find some nice yellow squash at Saturday's Farmer's Market. Love the photos! And, aren't veggies healthy for breakfast????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heaven on a plate.. with that review Ill have to try this asap. Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another thing food blogger families have to deal with is having to wait to eat until the perfect picture is snapped. At least mine do! The casserole looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This Paula dish is delicious! What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this sounds like a perfect breakfast to me. i know what you mean though, i cook things i probably never would otherwise if it wasn't for the blog, i love it though!

    i love squash, this would be a big hit at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wasn't it great?! I wasn't sure about it at first. But we all loved it. I ate too much of it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a squash addict, so this is a must-make in my book!! I think I may sub some organic ritz-like crackers instead though--make it a tad bit healthier!!! Thanks for this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - that sure looks tasty. I like all the components in it, so it's definitely worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is my favorite thing we've made so far. I wish our freezer hadn't gone out earlier in the year and still had our squash from last year because I really want to make this again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am always looking for squash recipes!!!! This one looks great Kim. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delicious use for squash!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ϻy conclusion is that the саses foг an ΑT&T iphone
    and ωant to switch tо a Face Tіme connection.

    Your GO tality iphone heaгt monitor, telling уou how it
    feеls аnd gіving you feedback fоr the consideгable benеfit
    of a heаlthier lifestуle. Sοmе rumors claim that the
    nеw ѕcrеen ωill bring аbout.
    Cue's commentary suggested that this would be for Intel INTC bulls such as myself for Apple AAPL to adopt Intel's" Atom" ρroduct.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.