Friday, September 25, 2009

Heirloom Tomatoes and Black-Eyed Peas - Recipe #41 Stirring the Pot


I was so happy to finally make this salad! It's taken quite some time to get the two main ingredients for this recipe. I had heirloom tomatoes and then couldn't find black-eyed peas anywhere. I went to three grocery stores in Kentucky for black-eyed peas and no one had them. I happened to go to a co-op last week and found a can. By that time, the tomatoes had been put to another use and I had to look for more heirloom tomatoes. Another debacle. No one had any heirlooms left by the time I found the black-eyed peas. My Mom, however, has grown some beautiful tomatoes this year and they looked beautiful to me.

I made this tomato salad last night at my Mom's before going to work. It was very quick, maybe 5-10 minutes. We enjoyed it and would eat it again, but agreed that we missed the cheese like a Caprese salad would offer. This salad was stunning in presentation and would be healthier than a Caprese, a good option for anyone watching what they eat.

Heirloom Tomatoes and Black-Eyed Peas - Stirring the Pot by Tyler Florence
6 large ripe heirloom tomatoes, various colors and varieties
2 cups canned black-eyed peas, cooked
1/2 small red onion
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 bunch fresh hydroponic watercress, for garnish (I used parsley because no one sells watercress in Kentucky)

Cut tomatoes into thick slices and lay them on a large plate in a single layer, mixing the colors and varieties. Darin black-eyed peas and rinse under cold water. Scatter black-eyed peas and rinse under cold water. Using a sharp knife, cut the red onion in half lengthwise (root to tip). Slice each onion half lengthwise to create thin crescent-shape slices. Scatter onion on top of black-eyed peas.

In a small bowl whisk together vinegar and oil; drizzle over salad and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with watercress or parsley, in my case.

This is also my contribution to Tyler Florence Fridays, a very popular site devoted to Tyler's recipe. Head on over there to check out what everyone else made this week! I am also submitting this to Deb over at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sundays club. Every Sunday Deb posts a beautiful array of soups, salads and sandwiches.

32 comments:

  1. Wow! It's amazing what we go through just to find the right ingredients for a recipe sometimes :) This looks like it would be a healthy one to make. But I'm like you. I've gotta have my cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh..btw...I haven't seen the Cook Yourself Thin show on Lifetime for a while now. Not sure if they are still airing it or not....but their recipes are still on their website :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm I do love heirloom tomatoes! They just scream "summer"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty. I wish i could find heirloom tomatoes where i live. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I have had my eye on this one too. I might have to suck it up and just use my red ones, I haven't seen any heirloom ones in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love heirloom tomatoes, but don't find them easily around here. Never ate black-eyes peas, but they sure are pretty. Bet this was a tasty salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a good-looking, healthy salad. I love heirloom tomatoes and don't get to enjoy them very often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is My kind of salad--- my last but one post was about it. But this is way better..and looks mediterranean as well!! way to go kim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bring on the cheese!

    I agree, tomatoes are great but mozzarella brings it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so pretty, i love the colorful tomatoes and black eyed peas, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever seen the heirloom tomatoes aroud here. This is a great post, lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had this one bookmarked forever. Like you, I never had everything at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too had this one tabbed but have not found the right heirlooms yet. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can never find heirloom tomatoes for less than 5 dollars a pound and so i like to take the word "heirloom" with a grain of salt. Sometimes it means roma tomatoes. Sometimes it means cherry tomatoes. It all depends on the prices at Whole Foods. Either way, looks delicious. This would be a great lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so pretty!!!! Sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful tomato salad! Sounds easy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi. Welcome to the Foodie BlogRoll! Nice blog. Tyler does come out with some cool dishes to make up during his Food 911 episodes. I gotta try some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love tomatoes ! Thanks ! Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unfortunately we are between houses right now... our last one sold a month ago and we are headed to Chicago to start again... so now garden at this point, but I'm definitely going to plant some tomatoes next year and see if I can find these black eyed peas. Not sure I am too familiar with them?? Does look like a great salad though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome to the foodie blog roll! I am a lot like you...I love to cook and bake and love love love going into kitchen shops!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty salad, Kim. Congrats on the Foodie BlogRoll!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds great- the perfect summer dish! I have never tried black eyed peas, what a good idea! Thanks for your comment the other day- I have not been able to get TF into our life much these days, miss it but not too much I can do about it. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I love tomatoes - that looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw this over at Debs Souper Sundays and wanted to tell you that it looks and sounds sooo good. I love black-eyed peas. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New year with Blacked Eye Peas!! A must try for the New Year. Thanks Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What gorgeous tomatoes. Love how you dressed them.. delicious! Perfect presentation also!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful looking tomatoes, and blog. Reminds me I still have a few 'Cuore Di Bue' tomatoes outside to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have such a pretty blog! I love the bright colors of this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It does look pretty - maybe you should add some cheese to it anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a great recipe and compliments grilled foods nicely. It has become a staple with our bar-b-ques. I reduced the vinegar to 1/4 cup and added a splash of balsamic vinegar for sweetness. It has great presentation with its color and chunkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am looking for appetizers for a summer party for about 60 people. If I made tiny bite size ones and fried them first, do you think re-heating them in the oven before serving would dry them out?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.