Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fall Baking Series: Morning Maple Muffins & Maple Butterscotch Brownies

Fall happens to be my favorite time of year. I am in love with the colors of fall so much, that we painted my kitchen a color named "Pumpkin Bar". We love to going to the apple orchard and the pumpkin festivals. There is nothing like eating a fresh apple cider donut while hunting for the perfect pumpkin. We are lucky to live in a big farming community where lots of these farms surround us. It is a great way to support the local farmers and enjoy family time.

When I think of fall baking I think of maple syrup, apples, pears, nuts, pumpkin, and warm spices. My all-time favorite ingredient to use, in the fall, is maple syrup. I love the flavor and smell and it always makes me feel like fall has arrived. Both recipes below are super delicious, the brownies being my personal favorite. In fact, I think they are a must bake this fall. If you love maple, love brownies, and love easy recipes, then this brownie recipe is for you! The Morning Maple Muffin is great in the morning and I'm toying with the idea of adding bacon to it, to make it a more savory breakfast treat.
Morning Maple Muffins - Taste of Home Winning Recipes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sour cream (I used greek yogurt)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping:
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold butter
In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter, syrup, sour cream, egg and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine flour, sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. (NOTE: If you love streusel, then double the streusel recipe). Bake at 400 for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Makes 16 regular sized muffins
Doesn't that look delicious? Let me tell you that these brownies had the perfect texture. They were crisp on the top and chewy in the middle. Absolutely delicious. I think I ate about 3/4ths of the pan all on my own. The batter smells so delicious that it will literally drive you insane while you are waiting for the brownies to finish baking. A must make !!!
Maple Butterscotch Brownies - Taste of Home Winning Recipes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
Confectioner's sugar, optional for dusting on top
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in maple flavoring. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased 9-in square baking pan. Bake at 350F for 27-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Dust with confectioner's sugar if desired. Yield: 16 brownies that you will literally inhale.

I am a chocolate lover and love a great chocolate brownie, but these Maple Butterscotch Brownies are right up there!!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this. Similar to the ones I had on my website, but these look more delicious. I have the maple syrup and the baking tin, so I'm thinking of giving this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm....bring on the fall baked goods...and everything else that comes with it!! These both sound tasty :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea for a brownie. The word, brownie, encompasses so many creative ideas and this is one of them.

    I was wondering why the maple did not make the brownie darker.

    I have to try this for myself and I guess I will have my answer. Thanks, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall baking too! Those butterscotch brownies look positively mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am eagerly awaiting the cooler weather to break out the pumpkin and apple desserts.

    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!!! Yay for fall baking!! These look great! BTW...I have that same basket that you have pictured at the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, fall is my favorite season, too. I love the leaves and the crisp air (not today--it was humid) and the fairs and apple and pumpkin picking. Those muffins sound truly delicious and yes, by all means, make some with bacon. Oooh! so unWeight Watcher, but so good. I've never had a maple syrup brownie, but they sure look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..I love both recipes and am bookmarking for fall weekend baking. They look sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, love all the flavors of fall. These definitely scream fall to me and make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Both look delicious and really say fall. Those brownies look so decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maple is one of my favorite fall flavors as well. I think I need that pumpkin bar paint by the way. It would be such a good statement on my behalf of my love of pumpkins.

    Those brownies and muffins - HEAVENLY. They have been placed, in bold, on my to-make list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, both of these looks soooo delicious!!! I just love Taste of Home!! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for fall recipes--the best season by far! These both look great. I am a huge fan of Taste of Home recipes, I went to one of their cooking demos last year; it was great!

    As for my toaster oven, yes it is Hello Kitty! I got it a Target on clearance last yr for like fifteen bucks! And yes it would be a great idea to break down an unhealthy recipe--maybe a McD's Bigmac, Fries, and a coke?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I love all things maple! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious! I bet they were addictive :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful idea for a brownie, I often default to chocolate brownie, but I have to try this for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both recipes look wonderful! Ummmm...my mouth is watering right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.