Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chocolate Chip Pound Cake for My Girl Paula

Chocolate chip pound cake is this week's recipe for My Girl Paula. I have really been a little too indulgent lately, and wasn't really looking forward to this recipe. In fact, I've actually gained about 5 pounds in the past month and this is not a trend that I wish to continue. So, with recipients in mind, this cake was baked and distributed accordingly. (Okay, okay...yes I did indulge in a piece first). The rest of the cake was sent to my mom and my mother-in-law for Grandparent's Day. After delivering the cake, I went to work (very hard work selling bath bombs) and I got out the tester below.


You know it's a bad day when any of us break out the Silky Underwear dusting powder. It can only mean one thing......chafing thighs!! Ugh, not a girl's best friend!! I headed straight for the Silky Underwear and went into the stockroom. I meant business! Who can work 8 hours with chafing thighs, not me!! Anyway, the girls suggested I buy this product. Can you believe that? It was as if they felt I was going to continue using this powder. I mean really! Who do they think they are? Please.....I would probably replace my skirts with pants before I would be caught dead buying this powder : )

Chafing thighs aside, Paula's chocolate chip pound cake was good. I can't tell you that it was my favorite or even that I would make it again, but it was enjoyable. The recipe calls for a butter recipe cake mix, a vanilla pudding mix, and a chocolate pudding mix. It is a very moist and dense cake with bits of chocolate chips running through it. Paula suggests topping it with confectioner's sugar or chocolate sauce. Once again, I found a way to make Paula's recipe more decadent, topping it off with vanilla ice cream and homemade chocolate sauce.

This was a very easy cake to throw together and if you are looking for a moist, dense, chocolaty cake then this would fit the bill.

Chocolate Chip Pound Cake - The Lady & Sons, Too - by Paula Deen
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package butter recipe cake mix
One 3.4 oz. pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
One 3.4 oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6-ounces chocolate chips
Confectioner's sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a tube pan or bundt pan. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, water, and vanilla by hand. Stir in the cake mix and pudding mixes. Slowly add the butter and oil, and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes (mine baked about 70-80 mins). Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate. Sift confectioner's sugar over the cake, or drizzle with chocolate sauce, if desired.

I also received this award from Kay of Cooking with K. Thanks Kay! Kay is a great blogging friend who also participates in the My Girl Paula group. As part of the award, I am to share seven things about myself.

1- I am an only child and was also an only grandchild on both sides.
2 - I wanted to be a chef when I was in high school and went to school for business instead.
3 - I really wish I had went to culinary school and one day hope to.
4 - I sometimes cook out of a box. Kraft macaroni & cheese is a big hit around here.
5 - I don't like the word "hate". I think it is a very nasty word.
6 - I really dislike doing the dishes, whether or not a dishwasher is involved.
7 - I believe in the golden rule "treat others the way that you want to be treated".

I want to share this award with everyone who reads my blog!! If you want to play along, copy the award and share seven fun things about yourself! Thanks again Kay : )

18 comments:

  1. Holy smokes that cake has a lot going on.

    And don't worry - those 5 pounds will fall off in no time - no need to buy that powder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks yummy and that is too funny about the Silky Underwear. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! I hear ya...I think that picture alone made me gain a pound or two...but I still want a slice :) Silky Underwear, LOL...I've never heard of that before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim,
    Thanks for visiting the blog, and welcoming me to My Girl, Paula. I'm really excited to get cooking for it. I'll start up with the next recipe. The pound cake looks amazing, though, so I may have to back track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award!!! That cake looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a yummy cake, if you need help finishing it, call me. Congrats on your award. Loved learning more about you. I cook out of a box sometimes too. Some days i just don't have it in me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake looks wonderful! I know what you mean about gaining some weight. That last dessert I made for MGP (the strawberry pretzel salad)....ended up sitting in our fridge the whole week cause my hubby forgot that to take it to his co-workers. I kept reminding him every night to take it, but he always forgot the next day....lol. So we ended up eating that whole thing. I think he wanted to keep it all to himself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW...I went to college...majored in social work...and have a background in that...however...now I'm *rethinking* that whole thing and thinking about doing something culinary related :) I totally can relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim,
    Great job on the cake; I should've left mine in for much longer too! Oh well, there's always next time. I'm not sure what you mean by the "Follow" button... I just added the "Subscribe" feature today. Is that it? (Under the koala picture on my blog).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake looks great! I know what you mean about the weight struggles. I'm there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nevermind, I found how to add followers. Duh. It should be up now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry the cake wasn't as good as you hoped...sounds great though!
    I'd never heard of that silky underwear stuff. I'll have to check that out, for, um this OTHER person I know of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh that cake looks amazing. it was fun getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moist, dense, and chocolatey sounds like my kind of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh, HELLO! This looks divine! I must try some! Thanks for finding me, too! I LOVE comments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is definitely hard to not constantly indulge with all of these good baked good recipes around! I just try to make healthy substitutions in my baking when I can and then every so often go all out and make a recipe as is. I'm sure with a little conscientiousness those pounds will fall off in no time!

    This cake looks delicious, I can see why you needed to sneak a taste before passing it off to the grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anything chocolate has to be good!! When I make a rich dessert, I usually use butter and sugar substitutes to lighten it up just bit--but I never skimp on the chocolate of course!!

    I am an only child and an only grandchild on one side too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.