Monday, September 21, 2009

Corn Chive Pudding for My Girl Paula

Corn chive pudding was this week's selection for My Girl Paula, a club dedicated to cooking recipes from Paula Deen. I was a little worried about serving this pudding to a family of corn purists. We usually like to eat our corn on the cob, fried, grilled or just plain with a little butter. However, I decided to have faith in Paula and get to work. I halved the recipe below to serve 4 and had this put together in no time at all.

The addition of eggs and milk make this corn chive pudding a little reminiscent of a quiche. The green color of the chives is striking against the background of the yellow corn pudding. This is a beautiful recipe that was enjoyed by all and would be great as part of a special family celebration or as part of a holiday dinner. I will definitely be making this again over the holiday season. Additionally, it would be a great casserole/potluck dish.

Corn Chive Pudding - The Lady & Sons, Too by Paula Deen *serves 8*
Two 10-oz packages frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
4 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, cooled
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract *don't be afraid to add this, you won't really taste it in the dish*
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. In a food processor, pulse half of the corn until coarsely chopped; transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining corn and sprinkle with the sugar and salt; stir to combine. Whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, chives, flour, and vanilla, and combine with the corn. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake in the center of the oven until the center of the pudding is just set, about 45 minutes.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Yummm! I was telling Chaya I have yet to make my corn pudding. I am planning on making it today though :) It looks great! Thanks for the compliment on the background to my blog. I figured I'd change it up a bit :) I enjoyed researching the recipe for those cookies. You never know what you can learn when you attempt a researching project :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it would absolutely melt in the mouth :D... my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! My stepmother used to make something similar...hers had cream cheese in it. Yours looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...hows the cooking club? looks good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect for Thanksgiving.

    Did I just say Thanksgiving? It isn't even Halloween yet? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love to try this, it looks so creamy and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there's one person you can trust with corn, I feel like it's Paula what with her southern roots and all. I love corn in all of its many varieties. It goes so well with chives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! And I love that is uses frozen corn- good for a winter recipe. Thanks for your comments. I have thawed out some butter for your garlic butter recipe- can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great side dish that could easily pair with a lot of things! I am a huge corn lover, and have lots of chives from my grandpa's garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you liked it! I'm posting mine later. I'm at work. Yours looks so much prettier than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your corn pudding looks fabulous! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.