Thursday, July 29, 2010

Vegan Eats: Jamaican-style Black Bean and Coconut Cornbread Bake


In my younger years, I was a very strict vegetarian. I read every ingredient list, drove people crazy with questions about food and was completely happy not eating any form of meat. I toyed with the idea of going vegan, but would always cave when it came to cheese. If I had ate more meals like this one it may have helped, but I still don't think I could've ever given up cheese!

This Jamaican-style Black Bean and Coconut Cornbread Bake is one delicious meal. Spicy, filling, fresh and flavorful it is seasoned with jerk seasoning and packed with black beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and corn. It is then topped with a cornbread topping made with coconut milk in place of the normal milk and eggs. I spiced mine up by adding some extra green chiles and it was a delicious, healthy and filling meal.

Jamaican-style Black Bean and Coconut Cornbread Bake
Adapted from Vegetarian Times May/June 2010 Issue
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, juices included (see notes)
1-1/2 cups frozen yellow corn, thawed
1/2 teaspoon jerk seasoning, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/8 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup light coconut milk
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil 8 inch-square baking dish with olive oil.

Stir together beans, tomatoes and juices, corn, jerk seasoning, 1/4 tsp. salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Adjust seasonings with more jerk seasoning, if desired. Spread in prepared baking dish.

Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a separate bowl. Add coconut milk and 2 tablespoons oil, and stir until just combined-do not overmix. Spread batter over bean mixture with spatula. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Notes/Results
: I made a few changes to this recipe. In place of the canned diced tomatoes I used 3 fresh tomatoes from my Mom's garden. To make my version a little more spicy I added in two 3 oz. cans of diced green chiles. I also nearly doubled the amount of the jerk seasoning. The magazine indicates that you can also sub one tablespoon of chili powder in place of the jerk seasoning. The bake turned out spicy, but not too spicy and was full of fresh flavor. The addition of cococnut milk to the cornbread batter resulted in a thicker, denser cornbread which paired well with the bake. I really enjoyed this meal and think it is something than everyone would enjoy, vegan or not!

Serves 4, per 1-cup serving: 346 calories; 13g protein; 9g total fat; 2g sat fat; 57g carb; 0mg chol; 914mg sod; 13g fiber; 4g sugars

20 comments:

  1. Oh my this sounds amazing! I have a friend who is starting to eat vegan food. I will forward this to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the idea of a different spin on cornbread

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like vegetarian every once in awhile, but it has to be hearty, and this fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know my limits...and I could NEVER EVER give up cheese. N.E.V.E.R. LOL...this sounds totally delish! Reminds of a southwest dish with the beans and corn and tomato and chile...well, until the coconut milk & jerk seasoning. Ha! Sounds awesome, KIM =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish looks and sounds wonderful! I love the spin on the cornbread with the coconut milk and the extra heat from the chiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coconut - one of my favourite ingredients, I can't even imagine how good it would be in cornbread. This dish sounds SO good Kim! Seriously, I have to make this for my daughter who is vegetarian. Well, for her....and me!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just made my day with this. I could be a vegetarian who only eats pulled pork and salmon...would that be okay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could never be a vegan, but I could be a lacto vegetarian. I actually like meat free meals occasionally. I might try making some cornbread with cocomut milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this sounds amazing great flavors

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think almost all women go through some type of phase where they dabble with vegetarianism or veganism..some stick with it and others don't. I went about 2 years without red meat, but didn't notice a significant difference, so I figured everything in moderation is good. This sounds like one flavorful dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does look delicious! I have to say I'm like you though, I could never give up my cheese. I just love it way too much. Maybe I'll just go vegan for one day so I can try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I try to plan meatless meals 1-2 nights a week (although lately I haven't)...always looking for options/new ideas. Definitely intrigued by the coconut cornbread.

    Great pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds really good and healthy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this take on cornbread and you've made your black beans sound delicious as well. I've never been a vegetarian, but strangely enough would not miss meat in my diet. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. The coconut corn bread sounds so good!! I will definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I tagged this one to make--I'll have to go back and look. I like to eat vegetarian some of the time too and this looks so flavorful and delicious. Love the changes you made to spice it up more--Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so awesome Kim! The idea of coconut milk in corn bread has my head spinning with possibilities! I eat vegetarian a lot but I couldn't give up cheese either or sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look of this one. The coconut milk in the corn bread is a terrific idea. Your bowl is so pretty too. I have a plate that looks a lot like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I could forget about meat during this meal! I love the idea of coconut milk in the cornbread...have to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. While not vegetarians, we do seem to eat a lot of meals that are primarily vegetables. I think because we live in an area with lots of really fresh produce year round. This will be a delicious addition to our menu.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.